Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deep 1 metre, is it enough for koi?

TOR
    Nisai

Unhappy deep 1 metre, is it enough for koi?

i would like to ask you about deep of my pond. my pond is deep 1 metre. it can make my koi growth to 70 -80 cm or not?
    thank you sir.

Hi, tor, I saw you live in Thailand, so you shouldn't have problem with frozen water, but before answering you, you should tell us what volume have your pond and what kind of filtration do you have.

Anyway, I think that only a few people can grouth koļ to that size, and I 'm probably not one of those ...
    Marco

Sure. This fish was grown by Ron Bilkis in a 18 inch deep 450 gallon "porch pond", from a Tosai, on Miami Beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deep 1 metre, is it enough for koi?-blammaku.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TOR
    i would like to ask you about deep of my pond. my pond is deep 1 metre. it can make my koi growth to 70 -80 cm or not?
    thank you sir.
    My pond averages 20" inches in depth...I have raised a 28" koi from tosai in it...They say deeper the better, but I say is why? 5-6 feet on the average is good enough...you got to remember that depth in the pond world is used when growing the fish out in natural conditions like in mud ponds...when housing koi you really dont need a pond that deep...

growth is a matter of metabolism and food. Keep your temperatures up and your food fresh and of good quality and you'll be able to grow your koi to the size mentioned.Stay away from color food as the rapid growth and spirulina can negatively affect the beni, at these shallower depths be sure and provide a shade area for your koi.

other things to keep in mind is a low stocking rate, one koi per one thousand gallons. Put lots of air into your pond and filters....

At some stage you may be interested in the body shape and strengthening the internal organs of the koi, as well as the length ;and at that time pond depth will become more important. At that time you may consider doubling the depth of your current pond.

Smile

[QUOTE=Doug Ward]Sure. This fish was grown by Ron Bilkis in a 18 inch deep 450 gallon "porch pond", from a Tosai, on Miami Beach.[/QUOTE

That sure is a handsome...............koi you have there Doug.

TOR
    Nisai
    my pond is about 6600 gallons. deep is about 40 inch. and iuse 2 filter mat in my filter system one per each filter pond.
    koi food, i use hikari economy. in every morning i will feed a piece of orange to my koi with pumkin too. for hikari economy,i feed 3 time per day. the colour koi food i give them 2 time a week. i hope in one day i will have a jumbo koi in my pond same as ron bilkis.

been there, done that too. but it won't grow much bigger than 18 inches in small pond.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ward
    Sure. This fish was grown by Ron Bilkis in a 18 inch deep 450 gallon "porch pond", from a Tosai, on Miami Beach.

Tor,

I always have the same questions myself but I finally got my answer from KOI USA Magazine. I belive it's sept 2003 issue. here is a summary of key points:

1. shallow pond is best. shallow is defined as depth of no more than 3ft.
    2. shallow pond has warmer temp. fish grows faster warmer water.
    3. fish get sufficient exercise with strong current to retain good body comfirmation
    4. any depth of 5.5 ft or more is considered as deep and medium depth is in between 5.5 ft to 3ft. depth of 5.5 ft is considered for pond show case such as tourist attraction
    5. take longer to warm up the deep water. hence, fish grows slower in shallow ponds due to warmer water.
    6. shallow pond offers better viewing of your fish

based on your follow up entry, sound like you have a good depth pond and good size of water.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TOR
    thank you sir.

Dick,

one koi per 1k gallons is like staying at 5 stars resort.

I think it really depends on the size of the fish and pond size. imo, if the fish is less than 10 inches and pond size of 15 x 10 x 3, 100 gallons per fish is more than sufficient for first couple of years. this is assuming weekly 10% water change and remove fish waste on weekly basis during high feeding season. 20 inches or greater, I would go with 200 gallons per fish.

I read the article on koi usa and the author stated there was no proven depth has an affect of body shape and strength. I am just repeating the message so don't kill the messenger.

regards,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    growth is a matter of metabolism and food. Keep your temperatures up and your food fresh and of good quality and you'll be able to grow your koi to the size mentioned.Stay away from color food as the rapid growth and spirulina can negatively affect the beni, at these shallower depths be sure and provide a shade area for your koi.

other things to keep in mind is a low stocking rate, one koi per one thousand gallons. Put lots of air into your pond and filters....

At some stage you may be interested in the body shape and strengthening the internal organs of the koi, as well as the length ;and at that time pond depth will become more important. At that time you may consider doubling the depth of your current pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast