Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: # of GC contenders

Sansai

# of GC contenders

how many koi in the USA could be shown and be legitamate contenders for a GC? and how many owners does that represent?

i know that this might sound like a stupid question to many, but i am new to koi keeping and i am under the impression this is a very rare fish and there are not many around.

Hey . . .

why don't you check with Charlie_23456 and see what his thoughts on the matter are -- since you two are so "close" that should be easy enough to do!

There are so many in the USA you'd be amazed. believe it or not alot of koi kichi's do not show yet have killer koi. I know of the same situation in the UK.
    Ask any japanese dealer where the majority of the koi go including their best.
    When i started koi close to three decades ago they all stayed at home....now 3/4 of the product goes outside of Japan, including so incredible national fish.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop
    why don't you check with Charlie_23456 and see what his thoughts on the matter are -- since you two are so "close" that should be easy enough to do!
    yeah, but i get tired of talking to myself. plus, he aint no smarter than i am!

Every show has a GC. With that said if you take that koi to another show on the exact same day in the exact same condition (which is impossible but just a hypothetical). It might not even place among the contenders in that show. It's all relative to what shows up at the show.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    Every show has a GC. With that said if you take that koi to another show on the exact same day in the exact same condition (which is impossible but just a hypothetical). It might not even place among the contenders in that show. It's all relative to what shows up at the show.
    that is why i asked how many "legitamate contenders". just a guess as to how many there are in ponds across the states. i don't know of any, but i know they are out there......

Well I'll let someone with more experience answer that. It's a subjective question though and I think it really depends on what shows up the day of the show. If you mean how many koi are in the USA that could compete in ALL-Japan and win GC there I would bet you might get a ballpark answer. Just keep in mind that Japan does not allow the importation of koi so it would never happen.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Out of the millions of koi in ponds across the U.S., I'd guess you'd be referring to no more than a hundred; and if you mean in a condition for serious consideration at the All-Japan, I'd say: None. But, I'll defer to JR and others with far greater knowledge of what is hiding in U.S. ponds. [Now, start talking about the U.K., and I'd bet things improve.]

...but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bauer
    yeah, but i get tired of talking to myself. plus, he aint no smarter than i am!
    LOL! I like my other self!

Contenders according to whose standard...Japanese...British...North America?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast