Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question adding a new filtration unit

Question adding a new filtration unit

Hello, here is the situation:
    I have a bottom drain that feed by gravity a filter (central vortex ) and return to the pond by a pomp (1500 gallon/h) all in 110 mm pipes.
    I have an other filter fed by a pomp from a skimmer and gravity return to the pond (1000 gallon/h).

My pond is 3000 gallon and I intend to add a bakki shower for next spring.

So the question is: where should I take the water for the bakki ? three solutions:

1/ I can add pomp from the skimmer and create an independent filter unit with gravity return to the pond.

2/ I could use the pomp from the central vortex unit and instead of going directly to the pond, bring the water up to the bakki and have a gravity return to the pond from the bottom of the bakky. (But I don’t know if I really will increase my filtration by feeding the bakki with “clean water” coming outside from the first filter.

3/ I could fix pomp to the pipe that feed the central vortex (before the filter) by a bypass and bring the water to the bakki with a gravity return to the pond. I would prefer that solution because that will clean the bottom of the pond better then now, but I don’t know if I will still have enough water for the central vortex… Does anybody has already try that solution and what is the result on the water pressure arriving on the filter ?

I thank those who will take the time to understand my question, I hope it’s not too Chinese ….

Marco

Marco, how is the water rreturned to your pond now? Is it pressurized into TPR or where you fish get good turbulance and excerices. I would think that you would want to not disturb that part of your pond. The gravity return will not do this work for you.

PLease tell us more...

Joe

Oyagoi
    I agree with you on the tapping off the drain line being the 'best'. Having it's own bottom drain is really the best. What size is that drain line before the vortex? How many hsowers were you going to add, a single or a double, how many gallons is your pond?

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    Hello, here is the situation:
    I have a bottom drain that feed by gravity a filter (central vortex ) and return to the pond by a pomp (1500 gallon/h) all in 110 mm pipes.
    I have an other filter fed by a pomp from a skimmer and gravity return to the pond (1000 gallon/h).

My pond is 3000 gallon and I intend to add a bakki shower for next spring.

So the question is: where should I take the water for the bakki ? three solutions:

1/ I can add pomp from the skimmer and create an independent filter unit with gravity return to the pond.

2/ I could use the pomp from the central vortex unit and instead of going directly to the pond, bring the water up to the bakki and have a gravity return to the pond from the bottom of the bakky. (But I don’t know if I really will increase my filtration by feeding the bakki with “clean water” coming outside from the first filter.

3/ I could fix pomp to the pipe that feed the central vortex (before the filter) by a bypass and bring the water to the bakki with a gravity return to the pond. I would prefer that solution because that will clean the bottom of the pond better then now, but I don’t know if I will still have enough water for the central vortex… Does anybody has already try that solution and what is the result on the water pressure arriving on the filter ?

I thank those who will take the time to understand my question, I hope it’s not too Chinese ….

Marco
    Any of the three solutions should work, but #3 is the one I would aviod. Pumping unfiltered water directly to the BS will eventually cause more debris to accumulate in the BH and cause more work for you to clean it regularly. Pumping from a chamber with the sediments already removed will minimize your maintenence work.
    The improved filtration acheived from a BS is mainly from de-gassing and nitrate removal although it should also improve clarity.

[QUOTE=keokoi]

Marco, how is the water rreturned to your pond now? Is it pressurized into TPR or where you fish get good turbulance and excerices. I would think that you would want to not disturb that part of your pond. The gravity return will not do this work for you.

PLease tell us more...

Actualy one of my water filter return by gravity into a little fall and the other filter is gravity feeded and the water return to the pond with a pomp,that water arrive at mid level in the pond and can be directed in different direction that I change often. The koi seems to like changes ..

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    I agree with you on the tapping off the drain line being the 'best'. Having it's own bottom drain is really the best. What size is that drain line before the vortex? How many hsowers were you going to add, a single or a double, how many gallons is your pond?
    My pond is 3000 uk gallons and I wanted to add bakki showers for about 20 kg bacteria house. I don't have any problems with water quality and clarity but I'm overstocking and I think I've been lucky since now.

Oyagoi
    and your line size?

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    and your line size?
    110 mm diametre for the bottom drain

I added My 3 tier Bakki shower 2 years ago. I took water that was gravity fed
    into a central vortex from the bottom of the pond and then drawn by pump to a three chambered vortex j-mat filter system set up in series. and gravity fed back to the pond. I wanted water for my BH that was fed with water that had the heavies already settled out of it so i valved off some flow from my feed line from pump to j-mat filters and fed into the the shower. After I robbed about 20% of the previous flow from the vortexes ( 250 U.S. Gals each ) I put a 40 high blow air blower with 6 stones underneath the j-mat on each filter unit. looks like a jacuzzi in there...BTW the air is not drawn from inside the pond room but outside so that there is no chance to contaminate
    the water with something harmful from inside where the air does not exchange.(this is no small deal make a note of it)

I did it this way because I had all my outside koi inside in 2,000 gals which was plenty overstocked so i wanted the extra filtration. Also I wanted all of the wastes eliminated so that the new filter would not have to deal with it. I have been more than satisfied with the results...

I would reccomend based on my experience taking water to the BH after all the heavies have been removed. Keep in mind that if your water will be turning over so much faster that eventually your system will catch up very quickly if your original system was not or marginally doing the job.

I don't read much about this anymore but I keep my vortexes covered so no light gets in. The bakki shower is open to light and natural UV. IMHO these different conditions encourage different bacteria to thrive rather than more of the same stuff in different filters.

I drain my central vortex twice a day, and filter vortexes once every 3 days
    (one each day ) and I have never cleaned the Bakki. I have examined the media, looking smelling breaking in half etc but find no reason to be alarmed.

I run a 10% water volumn change continuously thru a trickle of conditioned water.

I'm accused of overkill which is probably true but then on the other hand I have no health isssues which me and the koi both appreciate!

Hope something in my rambling will help with your decision making...

someday I'll have to tell Joe about my homemade soil mix for my bonsai which is equally as elaborate and includes 5% charcoal in the mix.(LOL)

bakki shower

This is what I would do
    transfer the vortex into a static K1 chamber from the bottom drain with the 15000 l pump feeding the new bacci shower. If using 2 inch pressure pipe you should have limited friction loss. Then draw from the skimmer over the bacci shower as wel with again if you can 15000 l pump this would flow water at 200% of the pond over the shower making ideal conditions. In my opinion you wont need anything else for the bio stages of your pond and you wont be dissapointed with the results. The only thing I would say is that you should have a double width shower it filters upto 4000g. You do mention that you wanted a shower with only 20 kilo of media, how do you plan to use such little amount of media and what size shower do you have in mind to incorporate 20 kilo of media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast