Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new pond construction, how's this plan?

One more chance of persuasion. This structure could be added in the background to give the site a more formal appeal. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pond construction, how's this plan?-img16.gif   new pond construction, how's this plan?-athensparthenon6.gif  

Jumbo
    My Goodness, this whole thread and Childers' name hasn't come up. Looks like Childer's to me.

Too much is located on the wall with the waterfall. Because that is the "back" right? If construction would allow it, mid level intakes on the front wall, flanking the window, but away from it by a couple feet, would help pull water across the pond and spread into the lower tpr's circulation. Like maybe tprs flanking the waterfall at 1' deep , mid levels at 2 or 3' deep and the front wall tprs at 3 or 4' deep. The skimmers spread out on the back wall, at 1030 and 130 o'clock positions should disrupt the flow little and not rob from the waterfall.

I see the key to this being the skimmers. Pull a lot of water from them and use it to push the deep tpr's, a different pumping function than the low head circuits of bottom drain-> nexus-> waterfall/high tprs. The filtration on this circuit is where you can expand your capacity and vary your approaches. The two Nexus circuits are a good foundation and you can build from there.

I don't build ponds for a living and am only now building my first 10k pond.

Mickey the windowman

Oyagoi
    A nuclear power plant in the background will probably give it a more formal and technology feel, and help with koi coloration as well.

Circulation is the key to having a nice viewing area free from accumulated debris. The way most ponds are done is to have the return create a circulatr motion from one end. amd skimmers placed on the opposite side of the same end. With a middle waterfall return, Maybe teh best spot fot eh skimmers would be on the same side as the water fall but on the ends, maybe even just where the curves start. (with waterfal at 12'o clock, put them at 10 and 2 or even 9:30 and 2:30. Putting them too close to the falls will create a short circuit, leaving slower deader areas at the ends far wall. Probably the falls will push surface debris to the wall, and then it will move towards the ends, but if the short circuuit is stronger than the perimeter circulation, it will move very slowly and struggle to get into the skimmer, causing accumulations. Part of how far away the skimmers need to be from the falls depends on the trajectory and flow of the water from the falls, and how far out over the water the falls lands.

pappabear, mitten and junglegeorge12 gave great ideas

this is what I did to put it together
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pond construction, how's this plan?-pillpond3jpg.jpg  

Oyagoi
    Are the mids going to be returns or intakes? If they are returns, they will need to be directional, adjustable to get the right circulation. Other concern with steps under water the fall still concerns me, for maximum oxygenation penetration to the bottom of the pond and top to bottom circulation, I would personally move the steps to the right of the waterfall, or to the opposite side. Let that natural waterfall have it's full effect. jmo, or preference 'if it was mine', which it isn't. Either way I think you have a great pond plan now.

I assume the tpr's will push the water towards the ends.

Oyagoi
    sorry, just read thru the posts a little closer, and it is clear the mids are intakes.

I like the overall idea, one thought is a light or two under the water fall looks incredible at night.

The other is I lean a little towards Jule's , mind on the mids, you might want to leave the option to valve them off and draw just from the bd's and skimmers, or adjust flow to your liking. It would make an intersting experiment to see how valving them on and off, and hi and lo would affect the pond clarity and oxygenation levels in different areas of the pond.

Each of the mid level intake and each skimmer will have its own valve to control flow. Same with the TPRs.

Oyagoi
    I assume 4" will be used from all intakes. Looks good to me, never dealt with mid intake placement personally though. Anyone with any experience with those care to comment?

Construction started

Excavation and gunite form formation on this pond was started and completed last Friday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pond construction, how's this plan?-picture-001.jpg   new pond construction, how's this plan?-picture-003.jpg   new pond construction, how's this plan?-picture-010.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123