Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Fry Eggs?...

Fry Eggs?...

I saw a seller on Ebay who sold fry eggs.....

I cannot remember how much she sold them for....

but, I thought it was a good idea?....

does anyone here sell "fry eggs".....

I have never raised "fry" before.... but, am hoping to get my hands on it this coming year..... just to try and get a feel for raising fry.....

She said she had to get rid of them within a couple of days... because it takes them 4 days before hatching.....

Any tricks of the trade?.....

Adreamer2

I guess it's true that they will try to sell anything on e-bay.

A problem with shipping eggs to someone who has never raised koi fry before is that when/if the project fails, you will not know if the problem was the fry husbandry or the shipping stress.

Shipping eggs can be successful if have a stable temperature. From the time they are spawned, you have about three days to get them to their destination - depending on temperature. You would hope the temperature stays about 68-70F (20-21C). The sooner they are put on the airplane, the better they will be when they arrive. I don't normally treat eggs with anything, but they should probably be shipped with methylene blue.

You would prefer they not hatch in the shipping bag because the water quality deteriorates during this time. However, you can ship newly-hatched fry (larvae) when they are still being nourished by their yolk reserves and are not yet feeding. You have about three days after hatching before the fry are ready to begin feeding.

Once the fry begin feeding, they are very difficult to ship. They need a constant supply of feed and if feed (be it live or dead) is shipped along with them the water quality will deteriorate. I have never heard of shipping feeding fry. It might work if the density was very low and they were shipped with a supply of moina, copepods or other freshwater zooplankton. However, the lack of light would also be a concern because I do not think they can feed properly in the dark.

Unless the e-bay seller has a large number of broodstock and frequent spawning during the season, the logistics of making this work could be tricky. You cannot wait until after spawning to place the e-bay auction and predicting spawning times is not easy.

No one here can offer to sell you anything.

If you have a local club, you could just put the word out to club members that you would like some eggs. Offer to pay or to give them pick of the litter. At least a few members in a club will have unwanted spawning in the spring. By getting them locally, there will be less transportation stress and you will have more success.

-steve hop kins

That's good!!!.... I like that!!!

Now... The thing is... One would have to ply the fry shipping "bag" with oxygen....

and it has to be done within a specified amount of time....

In determining that amount of time, one would have to include a window of a 24 hour period.....

so, shipping would, most unerringly, be overnight.....

I think it would make it....

I have never done so, myself... But, I believe it is possible....

There would be no guarantees as to survival rate.... Yet, it is very possible....

Adreamer2

If you want fertilized eggs, get to know the folks overseeing maintenance of the entries at a Spring koi show. As often as not, there will be a spawning overnight in some tank. You may not care for the mongrel offspring, but the eggs will be free. You just have to get there when they are cleaning up the mess.

Nisai
    Do you have room in your pond for thousands of ugly fish that nobody wants? Odds are the eggs being sold are from a flock spawn. If they survive you will end up with a bunch of mutts. If they were eggs from two high quality parents by a reputable breeder, they wouldn't be for sale.

Keep in mind fry are expensive to raise and its a very time consuming process with daily feedings, water changes and meds. Ever try and maintain perfect water quality in a small overstocked tank and NO pump? Not really worth the time and money unless you are going to end up with some decent fish in a year.
    Hello! My name is Endigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Hmmm... Interesting!!!

the dealer that I was looking into runs a very reputable business, here, in the states.. so, we're talking domesticated koi.... She seldom sells eggs, but was overcome during mating season, last year, that she emailed those who bought koi from her before, or who had membership at her site.... She offered a window of 24 - 48 hours to respond with payment and sold them by the thousands....

I was so terribly interested, but I couldn't afford the shipping charges.... So, I didn't get in on the deal....

I was interested because I was willing to try my hand at raising koi... Just to try it for the first time...

2006, I plan on trying raising koi.... Hopefully with 2 jumbo tosai.... Maybe a 3 or 4 year old....

We'll see....

adreamer2
    Adreamer2,
    gmcfayden,
    N2Koi
    -----------
    Alas, I have found my feat.. and am about to run!

Surfhead is right about getting fewer quality fish from a random mating. An excellent fish can appear at any time from any crossing, but it's a numbers game and it can be a bit like winning the lottery.

Lots of fun nonetheless. Go for it.

-steveh op

Fry

Culling

I bought two new koi about a month ago.One of them spawned about a week ago. I would say I have some where about 30000 fry. Besides looking for deformaties what else should i be looking for .

Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    I bought two new koi about a month ago.One of them spawned about a week ago. I would say I have some where about 30000 fry. Besides looking for deformaties what else should i be looking for .
    a big mud pond.

I had thought about buying eggs long ago when I was trying to get better breeding stock. Thats seriously doing things on the cheap.

You wouldnt need much water, say a cup or two. Small bag with pure o2, just to keep the eggs wet. Ammonia shouldnt get bad in a bag with just eggs? Shipping it with an icepack or 2 to keep the temp in the low 60's. The eggs could go for a week before hatching. A UPS overnight or 2 day small package could be quite do-able, and in-expensive.

If someone wanted to try it as an experiment, I would be willing to ship some next time I had a spawn.