Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanging your politics at the door

Thumbs down Hanging your politics at the door

I received a PM only a while ago directing me to the "unpacking koi methods" thread. When I opened the thread and had a look, I was more than disappointed to find the level of animosity that I did and immediately decided that the thread belonged in the "outside" subforum.

Folks, I have very little free time as it is. I've really got much better things to do with my life than to patrol the forum all day looking for infractions like this. Seeing fights like this on an ongoing basis is really cause for me to reconsider a bit more moderation.

Please let's all act like the adults that we are (or should aspire to be) and hang the politics at the door. If you feel inclined to hurl jingoistic insults at one another, then perhaps the PM system or e-mail would be a better venue.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Tosai
    I heartly agree ......

Chris Neaves

South Africa

Kudos Brian!! It gets kinda thick in here at times. I'm glad you decided to clear the air a bit - hope it works!?!

Like Rodney King said, "Can't we all get along?" Anyways, it's the most wonderful time of the year and we all should just chill and enjoy the holidays...

Peace to all,
    Tony
    p.s. Everyone should look forward to 2006!!!

My sentiments exactly. I think koi are one of the most peacefull beings on earth, and meeting fellow koikeepers is always a joy. So lets just stick to the hobby........

Happy Holiday Season.

Regenmeneer

Thumbs down Good Grief

I hadn't been following the thread as it really isn't an issue with me (koi unpacking methods that is) so I wasn't aware of the decay until now. DAMN !!! Hard to believe that a perfectly reasonable exchange of thoughts and ideas could deteriorate into a political diatribe. I must admit that as I read on my own hackles went up and I had to slap my own hand to keep from responding to such narrow minded idiocy. International politics have a place, but there are other forums for that. This one is for KOI!

Sansai
    I think you just hit the nail on the head, Larry. The people STARTING these ridiculous arguments are NOT the kind of people who respect Brian or Koi-Bito. But, as soon as one of these rants is posted, there are always going to be respectful members (like JR) who won't just sit by and let such trash go unanswered. When you see personal attacks, the unfortunate truth is, it's human nature to attack back. I tend to be one of the folks who isn't very good at biting his tongue, so I've been in the middle of this crap more times than I like to admit to.

This is one case where I'm in favor of heavy moderation - had the original political post been removed swiftly, the thread would have likely continued without the garbage, and we'd have a useful discussion instead of another thread dumped in "outside". I have no doubt that with the extensive user base of Koi Bito, Brian would be able to find some volunteer moderators who would be fair and do their best to keep the trash off the board. Koi Bito is beyond critical mass, and IMHO unless more active moderation is put in place, the quality of the forum is going to degrade quickly. You can't appeal to the sense of decency of a person who comes here solely to stir the pot.

Oyagoi
    Peace on earth, and good will to all men.

I think issues like that one are very sticky and tricky to start to moderate, without one side calling foul. Sorry for my contribution to the degradation Brian.

I would assume the guy felt really ganged up on and got thinking it was because of political issues rathe than the issue at hand. I apologize for my part int he ganging up on you. I should have made my comments in pm.

I think we americans have to understand the international community has been fed a view that we are all arrogant, think we are better than them, and they see us as narrowminded. They do not realize in many cases we are just people trying to survive and understand things better like them. I think people everywhere can be arrogant, and many other things, we just have to learn to deal with each other respectfully, despite negative characterizations and stereotypes.

I grew up in a mulitcultural environment, and learned most people are never what we presume them to be from a race standpoint. People are multidimensional as JR says. There is much more to every person than being a 'race', we are humans first. Humans are supposed to love one another, or at least tolerate one another and enjoy life a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarc
    ...This is one case where I'm in favor of heavy moderation - had the original political post been removed swiftly, the thread would have likely continued without the garbage, and we'd have a useful discussion instead of another thread dumped in "outside". I have no doubt that with the extensive user base of Koi Bito, Brian would be able to find some volunteer moderators who would be fair and do their best to keep the trash off the board. Koi Bito is beyond critical mass, and IMHO unless more active moderation is put in place, the quality of the forum is going to degrade quickly. You can't appeal to the sense of decency of a person who comes here solely to stir the pot.
    I really hate to agree with you, as I have a great deal of respect for Brians reason for keeping hands off as much as possible, but... As you say, "This is the ONE case" exeption to the rule. It truly is a waste of time to appeal to the presumed "decency" of someone whose purpose is to stir the pot. I just hope all of the American members of the forum realize this was one mans diatribe against America and not representative of the other South African members, and vice-versa regarding the KOIMINDED members from South Africa who post here with decency as well.

JG, I think you give him too much credit. His rant was instigated without provocation and escalated to involve others only after he persisted in it.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Happy holidays everyone!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast