Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Clay

Clay retaining Salt??

What a wonderful forum this is - you people come up with things I hadn't even considered.

Gotta question - we've been adding koi clay to our indoor pond in small amounts weekly to take advantage of its benefits.

But this fall we salted this pond to eradicate some pesky little paracites. It worked great, but it seems to be impossible to totally flush the salt from the pond. We seem to be "stuck" on .14% salt in the water.

So my question to the chemists of the group - is the clay holding salt in the pond? We're going to try stopping the clay additions for awhile to see if it makes a difference, but this might answer our puzzle.

Thanks
    Phyllis & Gene

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by koipondman
    But this fall we salted this pond to eradicate some pesky little paracites. It worked great, but it seems to be impossible to totally flush the salt from the pond. We seem to be "stuck" on .14% salt in the water.

So my question to the chemists of the group - is the clay holding salt in the pond? We're going to try stopping the clay additions for awhile to see if it makes a difference, but this might answer our puzzle.

Thanks
    Phyllis & Gene
    Before you do anything else check the salinity of your source water.

I believe sodium chloride ions will be adsorbed by the clay, but not to the extent of affecting the huge amount required to salt a pond for treatment purposes. To the extent some was adsorbed, it would be released when the concentration of salt ions in the water was appreciably reduced, but I do not think this would be sufficient to explain your situation. Test your source water, anf if it has no measurable salt content do a couple of water changes. Let us know what it tests then. Curious situation.

Koipondman . . .

If you're using reagents to measure your salinity level, they can age and go off. And if you're using a digital meter, they can require recalibration.

So after checking your source water -- check your checkers!

Salinity of water source

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Before you do anything else check the salinity of your source water.
    Our water source salinity is .02% and this is constant. Good question however for those who are not familiar with their water source parameters as it is surprising how many koi keepers have no clue. Thanks

Water changes

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I believe sodium chloride ions will be adsorbed by the clay, but not to the extent of affecting the huge amount required to salt a pond for treatment purposes. To the extent some was adsorbed, it would be released when the concentration of salt ions in the water was appreciably reduced, but I do not think this would be sufficient to explain your situation. Test your source water, anf if it has no measurable salt content do a couple of water changes. Let us know what it tests then. Curious situation.
    Water changes are done on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day changing out about 1500 - 2000 US gallons per change. With a 22000 US gallon pond I realize that that is about a 10% change each time. However, I realize if you were to do a 50% water change the first time and then do another water 50% water change you haven't completed a 100% water change as you are changing out a portion of that which was changed in the first water change. We have salted this pond on a number of ocassions and it just seemed that the salinity level came down quicker than it has with the recent addition of the clay to the water where clay was not a factor in previous salt applications. As you have eluded too above I suspected that there may be a slight retention by the clay, but apparently not significant enough to affect the retention of salinity I am seeing. I was just curious since we had some clay guru's discussing the subject. Appreciate your comments and input, thanks.

Digital meter

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop
    If you're using reagents to measure your salinity level, they can age and go off. And if you're using a digital meter, they can require recalibration.

So after checking your source water -- check your checkers!
    Hi Don

We use the digital meters and we have two to compare readings with. We do routine water source checks for salinity and we also take readings with distilled water for meter comparisions and checks. Another good point that you have made for those less familiar with water parameters and testing that are reading this forum. This is how we all learn by others asking questions and those of you that are so great to come to the challenge. Thanks.

Lightbulb Test the clay

Take a sample of the clay you've been using, blend it with tap water, and test the salinity of the solution. Even Calcium Bentonite contains varying degrees of sodium depending on exactly where it was mined and that may be part of your reading. Either way, unless you have pond plants that are irritated by the salt, 0.14 is comfortable for koi anyway.

Water changes are done on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day changing out about 1500 - 2000 US gallons per change. With a 22000 US gallon pond I realize that that is about a 10% change each time. However, I realize if you were to do a 50% water change the first time and then do another water 50% water change you haven't completed a 100% water change as you are changing out a portion of that which was changed in the first water change. We have salted this pond on a number of ocassions and it just seemed that the salinity level came down quicker than it has with the recent addition of the clay to the water where clay was not a factor in previous salt applications. As you have eluded too above I suspected that there may be a slight retention by the clay, but apparently not significant enough to affect the retention of salinity I am seeing. I was just curious since we had some clay guru's discussing the subject. Appreciate your comments and input, thanks.

Novel idea

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear
    Take a sample of the clay you've been using, blend it with tap water, and test the salinity of the solution. Even Calcium Bentonite contains varying degrees of sodium depending on exactly where it was mined and that may be part of your reading. Either way, unless you have pond plants that are irritated by the salt, 0.14 is comfortable for koi anyway.
    Now that is a novel idea, why didn't I think of that. Will do that and post the result. Thanks!!!!!!!

Clay/salt

Now that is a novel idea, why didn't I think of that. Will do that and post the result. Thanks!!!!!!!
    Okay! Water source salt tested at .02%, which we already knew. Added clay that we used and measured salinity, .02%. Left it sit overnight and remeasured, .02% salinity. Gut hunch and conclusion, no measurable salt level present in the clay material utilized. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Gene A

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast