Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Clay

Smile It was worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by koipondman
    Okay! Water source salt tested at .02%, which we already knew. Added clay that we used and measured salinity, .02%. Left it sit overnight and remeasured, .02% salinity. Gut hunch and conclusion, no measurable salt level present in the clay material utilized. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Gene A
    I guess the process of elimination as eliminated two potential ongoing sources, which still leaves the question open as to sustained salinity even after multiple water changes. Any other ideas floating around out there???

hi Chris,

Really appreciate your explaination of the clay. Now I know what it really is. I'm gonna try some for my kois.

Cheers,

Fry
    A really fascinating thread many thanks to MikeM & Chris for the wealth of information contained therein.

What different brands/makes of clays do members use for their ponds
    Johnnie

I have been using one that was given away to our club as samples 2 years ago. Folks who did not want it gave me theirs... I've got another 6 months before it is used up! ...Koi Klay.

Started using Koi Clay this year - add with weekly water changes. Works well in tandem with bottom drain / settlement tank to "clear up" cloudy water (coagulating DOC's that are pulled into drain?....not an expert here) I like to think it has had a positive effect on koi health as well, but I also made changes to filtration, food, and frequency of water changes, so who knows for sure.

We use Refresh clay, weekly in our water, also mix a small amount in with our paste food. We have been very happy with the results. Jen you are right, it does a great job coagulating the docs. Gives water a pristine look.. Never tried any other brand, was given a sample of koi clay, but gave it away at our club raffle.

Sansai
    I have used Koi Clay for the past couple years, but have not been as faithful with its use as I should be. It does tend to give the water a more polished look when I am utilizing it.

Question - is there are marked difference between the Koi Clay and Refresh? If so, can you tell us what?

Tim: I have not seen a detailed analysis of their composition. I have seen breakdowns on the make-up of several batches of Bentonite clay, all mined within a few miles of one another. They were basically alike, but some contained more calcium and there were slight variations in trace minerals, such as iron. I am not sure the various brands are consistently from the same mine/deposit. If not, there would be variation in the production runs. The important point with these clays is that they be of a pure grade, suitable for the health food market. Most of the clay is mined for industrial applications wherein purity is not very important. As a result, I'd not recommend anyone getting a ton of the stuff from an industrial supply company or the backdoor of a kitty litter processing plant.

Sansai
    Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    I have used Koi Clay for the past couple years, but have not been as faithful with its use as I should be. It does tend to give the water a more polished look when I am utilizing it.

Question - is there are marked difference between the Koi Clay and Refresh? If so, can you tell us what?
    Tim
    If I answered, because it's from Japan. It might start another ugly dabate. So I will just say, I choose to use refresh because it works for me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast