Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexing Koi..... Male/Female Method...

Heck she also looks full of eggs what is he doing in second pic? Tried to get some of the eggs did he

Judy

That is my hand and I was just trying to get her stay still. Ya right. She was full of eggs and when she went out in the pond in spring there was a spwan.

Marie

Yeah... She looked full of eggs to me too.... What did you breed your kohaku with and what spawned from it, do you know?.....

have you ever "stripped" your koi before and is it more harmful to "strip" than to let breed natrually?....

Adreamer2

I milk them.. like milking a Kangaroo..
    I use all of the " xpert" techniques.... like "them".. I'm about 80% accurate at 14-16 inches.. like " them"

Milk it like a kangaroo?....

How do you do this so as not to harm them???..... I know that you have to be very careful..... Do you just go along the base of the anal fins on either side lightly.....

I had an 18" Bekko that was full of eggs..... I could not find a mate for that koi no matter where I went... ((that was within reason for my budget))..... and I thought about "expressing" them out.... I also heard that a koi can reabsorb her eggs, but it takes approx. 2 years to happen.....

adreamer2

Thanx for the pix Vipldy.

Regenmeneer

Quote Originally Posted by adreamer2
    Milk it like a kangaroo?....

How do you do this so as not to harm them???..... I know that you have to be very careful..... Do you just go along the base of the anal fins on either side lightly.....

I had an 18" Bekko that was full of eggs..... I could not find a mate for that koi no matter where I went... ((that was within reason for my budget))..... and I thought about "expressing" them out.... I also heard that a koi can reabsorb her eggs, but it takes approx. 2 years to happen.....

adreamer2
    It takes quite a bit of pressure.
    I " milk" from the back of the pec fins, with my palm under the belly, applying pressure with the thumb and forefinger just below the lateral line.
    Kinda like squeezing the meat out of a bananner

The fish must be 150%, totally slap azz knocked ,out via clove oil or 222.
    Not just dreary, like I do to inject, or scrape. Damn near dead...as to response to stimulii.

Bigger koi ( over 25 inch) almost "dump them" if it's fully gravid gal, but not holding eggs for a long period of time. After time it gets much more difficult.

I tried to do one of Koiphenators Shiro Utsuri and was followed up , a month or so later, by Al Riggs dVm ( good one), who also tried, and then injected her with pituitary hormone, to no avail.. It had been too long and the mass was solidified. I THINK the fish was finally lost to egg binding..

I have a couple of Sarassa that need it in the next few days.. normally they would let loose, but the holding tank is a bit overstocked and they just wont..

I could set them up in a 400 gallon, with a couple of males and some shade cloth, or mop heads, but this is only a 10 minute procedure.I'll "milk them"

If my guy shows up I'll do a few pictures of the procedure.

Waddy has some pics of the procedure , on his site.. with larger fish.

As to re-absorbtion.. A gal can do it in a 4 season climate, fairly quick, from what I understand... never seen it.. hear / say.
    Matt or JR or ona them yankees ( even Brady, in his fairly mild climate) could elaborate.

What about a little movie of the process of this for male and female. I would really love to learn how to do this and a video would be great Step by step if it is possible.

I would be interested in seeing such a thing myself..... When do you plan on doing the procedure?....

Waddy has some pics of the procedure , on his site.. with larger fish.
    What is his site?

Adreamer2

It was a mass spawn..I am looking for a female and male Kohaku to take the burden off Ruby. Here are a few pics of the spawn. I am always there it seems.

Marie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sexing Koi..... Male/Female Method...-copy-pict0049.jpg   Sexing Koi..... Male/Female Method...-copy-pict0050.jpg   Sexing Koi..... Male/Female Method...-copy-pict0063.jpg   Sexing Koi..... Male/Female Method...-copy-pict0066.jpg  

You said a "mass" spawn... Was it more than you expected?.... Are you able to handle the excess?....

Adreamer2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12