Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Tank Ideas

Quarantine Tank Ideas

Hello all;

I am planning to construct a quarantine tank / breeding tank sometime before next spring. My original plan was to build one using a 6' Pearls of Paradise show tank, which is 3' deep and holds approximately 650 gallons of water. These tanks cost over $400 each, however, so I am hoping to find a more cost effective solution.

One of the alternatives I'm considering is purchasing an above ground pool like the one pictured below. These are approximately the same size considerably more affordable; costing about $60 each.

I was just wondering whether or not any of you have ever tried using one of these above-ground pools as a quarantine tank / breeder tank, and if so, were there any problems? I'm planning to use a homemade bio-filter system to keep the water parameters in check. My quarantine tank will also be located under a covered gazebo; no sunlight.

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, please feel free to include a few pictures of your QT setup.

Thanks!

Joseph
    Three ponds, too many Koi, and one very angry wife...

one word of caution: whenever you try and take something used to swim in and convert it to koi keeping you must make sure there is no alegacide applied to the finish. It keeps swimming pools clean and sterile but kills koi, quicker than quick. I believe it is a requirerment that notification be stamped on the product so be sure and check before buying. If you can find a web site email them and ask customer service to assure you there is nothing in there that would harm fish!

There is another factor, That is the quality of the material and welds. A show tank is much more robust that a kiddies pool. You wouldn't be the first to come person to come home to find your fish high and dry. Mind you as an emergency backup I think it would be great providing it meets the requirements that Dick mentions above. Anything is better then nothing if you are in deep do-do. But to keep koi in one on a longer term basis would set me to thinking if saving for an extra few months might not be an slightly wiser option.
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Why not construct one yourself,have you a place in mind where you can do this???

This year i built a Tank using marine ply which is held in place by a metal frame work and then it was fiberglassed and it works a treat.The tank holds just under 500gls with a bottom drain that feeds a home made shower which has BHM for the media.

I when to a farmer a few weeks ago ans he show me a tank he bought for giving water to cows in summer. It was about 90 cm hight and three metter diameter, a really strong green polyester plastic and he bought it for about 100 €uros.
    It's the best and cheepest solution I know, I will by one soon to a local farmer-equipment seller.
    That could be an idea too....

If you have koi you don't care about you might be fine. No way I would put a koi in one of those. I'm guessing it will not last more than a season. Some koi have very shape anal fins that could make a hole in it. I would suggest buying a 45 mil liner and make a tank or buy a show tank. Years ago I built a 1,200 gallon above ground tank for the cost of a liner and a few nails. I found all the wood for free that I used for the frame. What ever you use, make sure you add a net to the top of the QT tank.

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Joe, Here is a nice Q tank built by Gene of Koi Villiage out of a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. Detailed instructions and parts list. You can get stock tanks from most Tractor/farm stores.

http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg1.htm

Most kiddie pools are made of very thin PVC and will deteriorate and become brittle and are suspectible to punctures. If you do decide to use one...get one that has stiff sides and not the blow up kind.

Well...looking back at it...it seems to be made into a filter falls. I use a 300 gallon stock tank as my Q and hospital tank.
    Charles, Charlie, Chuck, Chuckie!
    Chesapeake, VA

I found this 12' X 3' above-ground pool available from Wal-Mart. The price is right; only $300 including shipping! Holding approximately 2,500 gallons, however, I'm wondering whether this is too large for use as a QT.

I realize that a small QT (300 gallons or less) is preferred for medication purposes, however, are there any other problems associated with using such a large pool in terms of gallonage? I am leaning towards purchasing this unit, but I probably won't make any decisions for at least another month...

Again, any advice of comments would be greatly appreciated!

Joseph

Sansai
    i once used a 12' diameter, 3' deep pool from kmart - cheap! killed a lot of fish in it and never figured out why. i suspect the algaecide another poster spoke of.

Couldn't you just rinse it out thoroughly and add some chlorine neutralizer? Also, wouldn't filling up the pool and letting it sit empty for a couple weeks help to balance it out? Just curious...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast