Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: koi pond problem

Fry

Smile koi pond problem

My dad has a problem with his koi pond...need answers!!!!

Every day, the water level is dropping 5-7 inches, its not evaporation, wondering why? is there a leak somewhere?please help!! thanks.

That's exactly what it sounds like.... do you have a waterfall?.....

Adreamer2

Fry
    yeah, theres a waterfall...please tell me more,thanks.

Fry

Thumbs up

Please, anybody else have an idea, or what he can do, i appreciate it.

I tried to PM you four times... for some reason the system wont let me... so, I'm going to try this again.....

It certainly does look to be your waterfall....

Daylight will be to your advantage....

Examine your waterfall and see if there is a diversion.... It will either be on the sides, or behind the waterfall.... If it on the sides, the depth of the waterfall course is not deep enough to carry the current.... If behind the waterfall, it may be that your pump is too strong for the depth "etched" out.... Or rather, it is a bit shallow for the strength of the pump....

In my experience.... I've noticed rain and a buildup of ice which diverted the flow of the waterfall....

If you are in an area prone to snow or ice, this may be your culprit... In which case, I would suggest changing the direction of the flow away from the waterfall... ((Which I did))... to prevent the buildup of ice on the surface of the pond..... I pointed my hose directly to the pond and currently there is no surface ice......

But, you may find greater understanding through those on this forum who are professionals at trial and error by means of experience.......

Adreamer2
    Adreamer2,
    gmcfayden,
    N2Koi
    -----------
    Alas, I have found my feat.. and am about to run!

If you find that there is no diversion and the waterfall is connected correctly, it may very well be that there is indeed a hole in your liner....

Adreamer2

Pasadena koi, welcome to Koi Bito.

Dreamer, I'm not sure why you think the problem is caused by the waterfall. Don't get me wrong, it might very well be the cause of the loss of water. But it might not, I cannot tell from Pasadena's story.

To determine if the loss of water is caused by the waterfall, stop the waterflow through it. Return your water directly to your pond, without going via the waterfall. Do you have a direct return, or if not, can you let the filter run into itself?

If your not running the water through the waterfall, and the level isn't dropping, the problem is somewhere in your waterfall system. If it is still dropping, there is a leak somewhere else. It may be in your liner, or your hoses, pipeline, filter or valves (do you have any slidevalves going to your sewer)

Regenmeneer

what has to be done is to stop operations of everything, remove the koi to a safe holding facility (preferably while keeping the filter alive) and allow the pond to drop it's water level until it stops dropping. If it's in the liner/pond your leak will be just above that level of where the water stopped. If the leak is in your plumbing you'll be able to differentiate say a bottom drain which will eventually drain your pond. or a line that was under power from the pump (which when stopped) will also eliminate itself from concern. i'd say from your name that your in a warm climate so probably not an ice/freezing concern. I do think the initial concern about the waterfall is valid as most people dig a hole . mound up the dirt and start their ponds without allow this new dirt to settle . this causes movement and cracks....

Daihonmei
    The above have covered EXACTLY the actions to take with a LEAK......
    Now Pasadena Hmmm, Is someone doing a cattle drive through your yard on the way to the rose bowl...say someone from texas driving a herd of burnt orange and white Longhorns?
    If so they drink alot of water and may be using your fishpond as a watering hole...maybe 6-7 inches a day.
    If you see cowtracks around the pond it means they are coming in at night.
    The best thing to do is contact a local University, The best one to deal with this problem will be USC. They will come out and buld a really big horse. This will stop the Longhorns. Either the longhorns were paying attention in their Classic lit class and will just STEER clear of the big wooden horse, or they will foolishly come to close.....
    And if it is Longhorns and The Boys from USC can't stop them don't worry. The Longhorns should leave your area shortly after the 4th of January. And your pond will be back to normal.

Hook 'em Horns,
    Luke

Pasadena

The first thing I would do is what was said earlier - divert the flow of water from your waterfall directly to the pond. If it stops losing water, you know where the culprit is. If not, then you should begin the arduous journey of seeking other sources for the leak. We have all assumed that you have a liner pond - do you? If not the problem could cause a little more work in the end. If it is concrete, then I would suggest looking into a good sealing agent such as polyurea to seal your problems forever. Stuff is fantastic, although a little pricey, but you won't ever worry about your pond leaking again!!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast