Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [B]Mystery Koi Pics[/B]

theron: As head bencher for several shows, I'm getting used to the concept.

thank goodness for Kawarigoi!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Theron
    Myself...if it were my fish, it would get entered in the show at Orlando this March and let the benching crew figure it out.
    benched as a GR ochiba shigure..weeeeel maybe not....a metallic ochiba shigure?

really cool individual patterns of the silver scales

Its a carpsucker must have been brought in by a bird or something describes the fish just like your fish. Somewhat pointed head and mouth located at the bottom of the head, thick bodied crap reaches about 12 ponds when mature.

Looked for several hrs and this is all I could come up with. This type of carp also has no barbels and is found in your area. Could have come in via the water source or if your using well maybe a bird brought it in. The head on the fish looks like the carpsucker, with the little pointed nose and drop off to the mouth and wide head.

Judy

Daihonmei
    OMG description sure does describe this fish...
    "
    Characteristics - brown back with silvery reflections, sides tinged golden yellow with dark edged scales, belly white, scales large, no nipple-like extension on lower lip "

Daihonmei
    Eight species of suckers occur in Florida, including two species of Carpiodes carpsuckers, the quillback and the highfin carpsucker. As their common name implies, these silvery, deep-bodied fish resemble common carp. However, both carpsuckers may be distinguished from carp by the absence of barbels, and lack of spines in dorsal and anal fins of the carpsuckers. In both carpsuckers, the mouth is situated on the underside of the head and the snout extends forward beyond the jaws; also, the first ray of the dorsal fin may be very long, forming an elevated filament. Quillback and highfin carpsuckers are very similar in appearance, but they may be separated by looking at the lower lip. The quillback does not have a nipple-like knob at the middle of the lower lip, while the highfin carpsucker has a small nipple at this location. Both carpsuckers may be distinguished from other Florida suckers by body shape. The carpsuckers have deep, slab-sided bodies, while our other suckers are more elongate or somewhat cylindrical in shape. Show us the dorsal fin (pic please) as the carpsucker has a different shaped dorsal fin

Somebody go tell brett we need him!

Yeah Luke and a pic showing the fish top fins would be nice. You posted the same thing I read and I also had a pic of the fish but since I dont know how to post from another website I could not post here. Need to look for the link and post that.

Maybe send Brett a pm and see if he has a comment on this fish. Im still not sure it is a koi par say and think it might just be the highfin.

Judy

Daihonmei
    well I talked to brett today and he was off visiting the in-laws (fishing of the jetties in reality, but it counts as "visited the wife's parents" when the counting is done) he said he'd try to come here and have a look as I got his interest...but I don't see him yet....

I was thinking the same thing

Birds do have a nasty habit of dropping their catch in places you don't want them. There are a lot of farm ponds that have never been stocked by their owners that wind up with sunfish, bass, and bluegill that way.

Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl
    Its a carpsucker must have been brought in by a bird or something... Could have come in via the water source or if your using well maybe a bird brought it in. The head on the fish looks like the carpsucker, with the little pointed nose and drop off to the mouth and wide head.

Judy

I sent Kiefer a pm so maybe he will respond soon with a pic of the top fin. This is a very interesting koi or whatever it is and mertis some more looking into. If it is a koi maybe Brett can help us out.

Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12