Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Question in regards to Domestic Koi...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    I have not seen any domestic gosanke over 30" that I would call high quality. I have seen a lot of non gosanke's that are over 30" that I would love to have in my pond. I also have seen a few domestic gosanke over 30", but the quality was not the best.

My question is does someone have to have a high quality koi to enjoy this hobby? Very few poeple in the US have high quality koi. I would say it's less than 10% have high quality koi. The main thing is that they have healthy koi they can enjoy. The hobby is about enjoying what you have.
    I agree 100%. The vast majority of pond owners I know, myself included, could care less about their koi being "show quality" or not. As long as the koi look good to them, as long as their happy, then that's all that matters. A very small percentage of pond owners actually show their koi, which is also worth mentioning because it would be easy to get the wrong impression from these forums where everyone's talking koi shows all the time.

I'm sure there are plenty of quality domestic koi over 30" in the states. Just because they aren't shown doesn't mean they don't exist. Another issue to keep in mind is the fact that the term "quality" is subjective because everyone has their own opinions. A great koi to one person may seem less appealing to someone else. It's all a matter of taste.

If by quality you mean whether anyone has seen a domestic jumbo koi capable of winning a koi show with Japanese standards, then I'm fairly certain the answer is "no." But again, Japanese standards are not necessarily the standards used by the average pond owner when it comes to choosing the fish to add to thier ponds.

Sorry to ramble on. Have a great new year everyone...
    Three ponds, too many Koi, and one very angry wife...

Jumbo
    to each , their own!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question in regards to Domestic Koi...-elvisvelv-1-.jpg  

If they are out there

you would think SOMEONE on this board would at least know somebody who knows somebody whose neighbor has a sister... (oh wait, it's the sister that's a jumbo...never mind )
    There are probably some Domestic Jumbo's out there of showable quality on a local level, but as has already been mentioned, different people are in the hobby for different reasons.
    It wouldn't surprize me in the least if some poor schlub nobody has ever heard of has a would be show winner swimming around in his backyard pond because his wife saw it 5 years ago at 8" and said "it's soooooo purty".
    Another thing already said that is so true. Domestic Koi really are poorly marketed. It almost seems that most have decided to settle for filling a local niche market and not even try to go upscale. Obviously that isn't true for all, but it seems so for most.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Agreed. my kois are japanese imported but they are not that high quality either. it's more like what I can afford in term of $$$ than koi quality and most importantly what I like. personal taste has a lot to do with how I decide which fish to swim in my pond.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    I have not seen any domestic gosanke over 30" that I would call high quality. I have seen a lot of non gosanke's that are over 30" that I would love to have in my pond. I also have seen a few domestic gosanke over 30", but the quality was not the best.

My question is does someone have to have a high quality koi to enjoy this hobby? Very few poeple in the US have high quality koi. I would say it's less than 10% have high quality koi. The main thing is that they have healthy koi they can enjoy. The hobby is about enjoying what you have.

Jumbo
    So you'll feel that there are 30 inch show quality domestics swimming around in hidden water garden ponds throughout the USA? Sorry I gotta run- I hear the door bell ringing, I think Pamala Anderson might be at the door--- LOLs JR

Talking Pamela's at my house silly

Rosie O'donnell rang yours
    All I said was "Some poor Schulb", Singular. Lets face it, stranger things have happened.
    Speaking of which I gotta get rid of Pamela. The wife gets real pissy when she just shows up unannounced like this.

Quote Originally Posted by James P
    So you'll feel that there are 30 inch show quality domestics swimming around in hidden water garden ponds throughout the USA? Sorry I gotta run- I hear the door bell ringing, I think Pamala Anderson might be at the door--- LOLs JR

Jumbo

Pamela Cramden-Andersen, Ralph's daughter

Nope JR, I think the discussion has become "a domestic koi that is big and isn't so ugly you puke." Which is sometimes known as purty, but,come on, isn't really the same as quality.

That guy makes a lot of koi but hasn't kept them to grow them big, that guy makes tons but they all get sold ASAP, that guy really culls and then really sells, so I'd say that leaves Brett maybe that's got a juicy morsel in the "back" pond to have been around long enough to get big.

A customer of one of these guys, picking a good fish, keeping it well and long term, and it still has any show quality? I'd like to see it. Maybe somehow I'll see SMG's fish.

BTW Aquitori man, what about Maurice? Domestic, quality and growin like crazy.

Mickey the windowman

FYI Pamela Anderson has Hepatitus C So you better QT her

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    FYI Pamela Anderson has Hepatitus C So you better QT her

Joe
    Joe,...Pamela Anderson or Jessica Alba? Which one?

Jumbo
    Mmmm Hep C, huh? How bad could it be??? I'll take the risk!

OK, just so we are all on the same page:

There is a QUALITY koi
    There is a SHOW KOI
    There are GOSANKE
    There are OTHER VARIETIES

There are NO 30 inch plus high quality, domestic bred show gosanke in the USA. Nuff said.
    This does not mean that someone doesn't have a 16 year old, 32 inch domestic slug-magoi type in some lake somewhere.
    I'm talking show quality, gosanke- made in the USA.

JR

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast