Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whatelse besides Koi do you have as a hobby?

I spend a lot of time on koi but I still find some time to go Scuba diving, Sailing, Hunting, flyfishing, surf fishing, four wheeling, stained glass and fused glass and writing a novel about carribean pirates, ghosts, sex, drugs, and rock & roll.

Oyagoi
    Well is is wonderful that you have all the secrets of the univers figured out adreamer, however I'm not really scared cuz I am probably the guy whose wife got screwed by his friend, she is now an ex. So interpret your little heart out, just dont presume you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

Ghosts on drugs must be interesting. Do your life experiences add depth to your writing ?

...just teasing.

I work and usually have some civic organization I'm involved with. In between there's koi, gardening, and sometimes an old-style murder mystery. I collect frog figures carved from stone, with an occasional Zuni fetish or Chinese money frog or Inuit frog among them.

Tosai
    I wish I had more time for my "distractions"... but I enjoy;

'70 Chevelle 454 (Super T10 4-speed)
    Sport kites (2-line speed stunt kite, 2-line power kite, 4-line acrobatic kite)
    Archery (compound bow, overdraw, sights, trigger release, targets only)
    Snorkling in Hawaii (Snorkle Bob cares)
    Counter-Strike (I may have shot you)
    River rafting (American River Middle Fork, Merced, Grand Canyon)
    Australian Shepherds (3 of them, 2 of which are in dog agility training)
    I used to play a fair amount of golf (for me, practice did not make perfect)

Pictures of my Chevelle and friends cars... http://mystickoi.com/SS/
    Picture of Maui (one of our Aussies) practicing... http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../mauiflyem.jpg

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Sansai
    Um... starting a Lightsaber collection. I have a huge coin collection (inherited, I've never collected), and a baseball/sports card collection I haven't been serious about in years (4000+ Dan Marino Cards). Been thinking about moving those out if I ever have time, but it would take months of ebaying stuff out.

People get burned out in all hobbies, but if you look at the entire picture its very costly. Build a proper pond say $20-30k then tear it down next time you deside to move (CA people are lucky they usually have a market for houses with ponds), buy a $50k koi look 10yrs down the road and it is probably dead or worthless. Most hobbies you at least come close to breaking even, some (like classic cars) profitting. Its fun anyways.

Talking

Ahh..... my hobbies lets see

Racing motocross, for sport and a family thing
    R/C trucks, racing them with my friends
    Model railroading, HO a large collection, I work on it with my son
    Paint ball, I have my own practice field, also play on a sponcered team
    Import car tuning, 95 eclipse, current project, Turbocharging,NOS, 300HP thing
    My 53 F-100 pick up, long term project, with son
    Ahhh and the most time consuming of all my koi farm and pond business
    This is what keeps me going,an avenue to forget a bad day koi keeping...
    Priceless

Sansai
    Funny how many Koi Kichi are motor heads
    Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whatelse  besides Koi do you have as a hobby?-35_1_b-small.jpg  

Okay, here goes

In the past, I was a model railroad frieck!. Have a medium size collection of N scale and HO. Some of the HO stuff is craft kits including engines-all steam-no deisel. I have a plan for a layout that would fill my garage, but there's way too much junk in there to make room for a car let alone this layout.

I used to coach baseball and high school golf. Took the team to it's first division title in 19 years(thanks to my son and another player who played at 4 and 6 handicaps) at 16 yrs old.

I am into bonsai and designing Japanese gardens. This has been continual for the past 40+ yrs along with my koi keeping hobby. I am also currently the co-owner of a pond building business which is beginning to take off pretty well.

Mike

Tategoi
    Love all things Japanese so collect all manner of Japanese "things" from Red, 10 yen pay phones, to pottery, bamboo baskets, to Tansus, to Ojizos, to Tanukis, kanbans (shop signs) and Darumas…

Enjoy working with my hands so have a full on Woodworking and Automotive shop with all the "toys" that go along with them… Restore cars, current one is a 69 Elky, do carpentry, current project is trying to convert the exterior of our home in the Minka style, do cabinet working and Japanese Gardening… Also set up a pottery and have been known to throw a pot or two…

If I could loose a 100 lb.s, my plan for 2006, I’d go back to surfing and diving… Won’t go near the water now, for fear of being harpooned…

Aloha! Mike T

Nisai
    I feel like I am just getting started in this hobby. Its been 5 years and I have SO much more to learn...and I can't wait. This is my first hobby that I have been so interested in. Don't see me getting burned out for a VERY long time.

I have other interests of course, but with work, a 3 y/o son (who STILL won't go pee pee in the potty) and koi...who has time for anything else? a second hobby? oh man I don't know where I would find the time.

I do enjoy snow boarding when I can get up there. a bit of an amateur photographer and I got my degree in Fine Arts so I guess sculpture is also something I would consider a hobby, but I have no time for that these days.
    Hello! My name is Endigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast