Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Question re: Yellowing Head and Fins

Tategoi

Question Question re: Yellowing Head and Fins

Happy New Year to all!!!!

Purchased a 7" tosai Tancho Sanke in May of 05… At the time there was just a little yellow hue on the head back to the gill plates…
    Now 8 months later it’s 13" but its head and gill plates are very yellow and it’s pec, dorsal and tail fins are starting to turn yellow… Shiro on body is still very white, sumi is very black and tancho is a nice red.

Koi was in a pond with 6 other gosanke which are not having any problems, which leads me to think its genetics…

I’ve read that duck weed can help to clear the yellowing so have moved the koi to our Q tank and added duck weed… Still feed the koi 6 pellets of a high protein (42%) food every 3 hours between 7 am and pm…

Do others on the board have suggestions to address this problem?

Thanks and Aloha! Mike T

It depends on the fish Mike. Yellow heads can be due to the shin being very translucent and what you are seeing is actually the bone one the skull. This is true in young fish at least and less true as they age. I have seen it go both ways but in general I feel that if they aresansai and it's still yellow, then it will stay that way.
    B.Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Happy New Year to all!!!!

Purchased a 7" tosai Tancho Sanke in May of 05… At the time there was just a little yellow hue on the head back to the gill plates…
    Now 8 months later it’s 13" but its head and gill plates are very yellow and it’s pec, dorsal and tail fins are starting to turn yellow… Shiro on body is still very white, sumi is very black and tancho is a nice red.

Koi was in a pond with 6 other gosanke which are not having any problems, which leads me to think its genetics…

I’ve read that duck weed can help to clear the yellowing so have moved the koi to our Q tank and added duck weed… Still feed the koi 6 pellets of a high protein (42%) food every 3 hours between 7 am and pm…

Do others on the board have suggestions to address this problem?

Thanks and Aloha! Mike T
    Mike what kind of food are you feeding? Hi-Silk? Anyways, you got a pic of the fish...

Tategoi
    Toni:

Have been feeding him Yokozuna high protein pellets from the Japan Pet Drug Company... Same stuff I'm feeding the other koi with no adverse effects...

Will post picture as soon as I clear some software problems with Kodak...

B. Scott:

Thanks for your input...makes sense...Still have a ways to grow him out so hopefully it will turn out well over next year or so...

Aloha! Mike