Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Showers & Noise

Bakki Showers & Noise

I'm considering switching my trickle towers to Bakki's this coming year (I already have BHM in wet operation in the filters).

My one remaining concern is noise. From various DVDs, my impression is that the showers generate a fair amount of noise (understandably from the amount of falling water). Has anyone measured the noise output of a 4-tower system?

I ask for 2 reasons: (1) my koi pond backs onto a public footpath (behind a substantial wall of course!) and I have no desire to attract attention to its presence, and (2) no wish to upset the neighbours. Has anyone attempted to dampen noise output?

Hope this doesn't sound too insane but covering my bases. Thanks

There are a couple of people out there that cover them with polycobonate panels like a little house. Cuts the noise back and gives them some extra insulation from the cold.

B.Scott

Hi Tom,

I was at Eastern Koi over the Thanks Giving weekend and talked with Nancy about the Bakki setup they have their. I believe it's a 3 tiers setup with some substitution media. there was some noise from the water trickling down but not to the level that would create a problem for neighbors. I believe the noise level was compatible to a waterfall noise.

Steve

PS: Nancy, it was nice meeting you. too bad non one is allowed to go in the back to check your mud pond.

Quote Originally Posted by tomc
    I'm considering switching my trickle towers to Bakki's this coming year (I already have BHM in wet operation in the filters).

My one remaining concern is noise. From various DVDs, my impression is that the showers generate a fair amount of noise (understandably from the amount of falling water). Has anyone measured the noise output of a 4-tower system?

I ask for 2 reasons: (1) my koi pond backs onto a public footpath (behind a substantial wall of course!) and I have no desire to attract attention to its presence, and (2) no wish to upset the neighbours. Has anyone attempted to dampen noise output?

Sansai
    Tomc,
    My waterfall creates noises that the neighbors across the street can hear it. They don't complain and even amused with the sound
    Quote Originally Posted by tomc

Tosai
    hi tom mine is boxed in with polycarb sheet with a piece of japmat over the top it's very quiet you can see it in the post members ponds.

I had expected a lot of noise, too. But my Bakki is much more quiet than a waterfall. It is set away from the pond with a below surface return, so no splashing on the surface of the pond. My wife has even said she regrets not having the old waterfall because she misses not hearing the sound.

Daihonmei
    MikeM,
    Wait..."she misses not hearing the sound."
    What can that mean?

...the waterfall noise covered up my yakking about koi. :0

Daihonmei
    nice recovery...did she sleep with the window open so she wouldn't hear you talking about them in your sleep?

Tategoi
    Tom:

The noise comes from two factors, SS bins and the final drop from last bin to surface of water...

If you use plastic bins you eliminate on source of noise and if you place the last bin 2" above surface you minimalize the other...

Our bakkis are within 6 and 10' of our neighbors bedrooms and there are no noise problems... Your wall should deflect the noise towards your pond... As I've mentioned before, we placed our latest bakki in a concrete box with matala mate over the front to hid the bins and cut down on noise... Have to strain to hear water running from bin to bin...

Aloha! Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast