Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: J North.

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    Another thing you might want to consider in dog choice is having one who will be visitor and child friendly for farm visitors int he future. Herding dogs are not always real good with small children and have been know to bite and nip in order to 'herd' them.

A good bird dog that is great with kids is a laborador or a golden retriever. They are not only smarter than herd dogs, but frinedlier and fun to boot. They are also larger and have a louder and deeper bark which can help scare off other intruders or predators. They are also bred to specifically hunt and kill large birds. They are also large enough to run off raccoons and other intruders. Labs and retrievers are great for pets, so friendly and fun. You could probably even train one to pull nets with you!
    c'mon JG, a rott wont do the job?

Tosai
    They are not only smarter than herd dogs, but frinedlier and fun to boot.
    Ahhh... You hurt my feelings!

Oyagoi
    Sorry bill, I have been around lots of different types, and I love to play with herd dogs, hyper little freaks aint they? They can't even sit still when they are sitting still!

Herd dogs are a good and very playful dog, but not the best for kids and dealing with raccoons and other larger predators. Most of them will bite kids, not in an evil way like rotties do, but they do bite and nip by nature. Not good for koi business. Labs and retreivers are perfect for kids and will protect them lke their own pups. By instinct they see kids as fellow companions in most cases.

Rotties see kids as competition for food by instinct and will by nature kill them if given the chance. I like rotties, they look great in my rifle scope. Personally, I think rottweillers should be outlawed as house pets and farm animals. Hundreds of children are killed and maimed every year by them. Their instinctual behaviour makes them meat eating predators. Why should we treat them any differently than a mountain lion??? Kids are far too precious to risk their health and life on a dog that makes such good target practice.

My sister is a dog freak and owns a huge doberman. She tried to convince me and my brother it was safe to leave it in a room with a 6 month old baby cuz she did not want her dog to be outside at Xmas in the cold. Right after she quit talking it went over and bit an infant, luckily no serious injuries, but perfect case in point. That dog spent Xmas outside. It is simply a matter of dna inspired instincts, nothing can really be done about it. A child is far more important than any dog's fun.

When my son was 1, we had a neighbor who delighted in letting her dog run loose, thought her dog was more important than everyone else cuz she was rich. I went over to talk with her about it and she slammed the door in my face. I knocked again and let her know she had three choices, control her dog, I could call the pound to put it to sleep, or I could shoot it, which would she prefer? She slammed the door again.
    Two weeks later I was arrested and thrown in jail for false charges by her nephew(a local cop), not read my rights, and not even told why I was being arrested. Her husband's cousin was the judge that day. I had to pay bail to get out for charges that were all dropped later, and pay to get my impounded vehicle back. They did not know who I was, needless to say, that judge was forced into early retirement, and his younger sister's political career also took a fast tailspin. People like that cannot be trusted with power. Later I discovered her nephew and other family were in the KKK, and my wife was hispanic. Guess they didn't like me 'polluting' their neighborhood with 'halfbreed' kids. The good ol' south, right in Monroe, NC.

Here he is, my pride and joy. He wants to breed koi with me.

Sorry if I turned the thread visceral. Just wanted to share this piece of our story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J North.-howdoesthisworkdada.jpg  

JG sorry to hear about your story...To me a dog is a dog, personally I love my rott....and I am not even a dog lover...hate dogs! Ever since I was a mailman and got attacked by a police dog, that is when I gave up breeding rotts....and hated the police even more!!!

Herding dogs would do a great job & also Terriers. Terriers fear nothing & are more territorial than a lot of dogs. They come in all sizes too. The old dependable German Shepard would be my personal choice. I like my family protected as much as my pond.

Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl
    Hi Jim, first of all let me say I am sorry for taking this so far. I for one think your doing a great job as moderator on this board, its a large task and I dont think most could handle the job.

Please forgive me as I am not perfect Just a koi nut.

Have a great day Jim,
    Judy
    Its cool Judy I don't take this personally. And keep in mind I'm not perfect either.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

On a side note I merged KFGs and Aquitoris post about various ways to protect your pond. You can find it here.

What is the best animal to protect your pond?

Hopefully that is a solution that will work for all. If not, PM me. Thanks.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123