Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: The Easy, Did You Have Blanket Weed Reduction?

The Easy, Did You Have Blanket Weed Reduction?

I'm bringing this subject over from Duncan Griffith's KoiQuest.co.uk forum in order to get a little larger scope.
    For more than a year the Easy from Evolution Aqua has been on the market along with a large collection of DIY incarnations that basically work exactly the same. In general the greater proportion of people applying this technology have experienced a dramatic reduction in the presence of blanket weed (or stringy algae for the north Americans). The end result tends to be varied. Some have reported a complete disappearance while others have had it disappear only to come back to a lesser or equal extent.

I was never able to get the better of BW. I tried a whole range of products in an attempt to be rid of it but nothing worked. I built trickle towers, increased water changes, applied chemicals and even drained the pond and sterilized it with bleach but all to no avail.
    Within weeks of installation of my DIY Easy I experienced a massive die-back of BW . After battling algae for years to the point of despair I suddenly found the problem solved without even looking at my attempt as a solution.

So I'm wondering, who out there with BW troubles installed an EASY or similar and what were the results or lack of results? I would be very interested to hear what happened to any blanket weed you had even if it was no effect at all.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Wait a year. It can dieback for no apparent reason and then return when conditions are right.

It will be a year ago come March and to date the only place I find it is just above the waterline! Where I have removed it at the waterline it doesn't come back. But seriously the die-back was to the point where I could read the printed label on the pond liner at 1,5 meters down. I can't believe this is a coincidence as I have heard it from others as well. That is basically why I ask the question to see how many others have seen the same or not as the case may be. In the last ten years I have had BW that grew to METERS in length coating every surface of my pond. Acting like a giant crap-trap it held all manner of nasties out of the bottom drain unless I poisoned it or removed it by hand.
    All too easy to philosophize about the comings and goings of BW especially if you don't have it. I have known people who have followed the best rules for keeping koi who are plagued with the stuff and seen others with ponds that are totally rubbish and completely over stocked that never have a bit. Go figure?

So what about those who have suffered and suddenly have it leave? What did you change? Did it return? Did it stay away?

B.Scott

Common guys! Nobody has had trouble with BW and defeated it??

Oyagoi
    Well, I had trouble with algae blooms really bad down here when it rained and in summer with all the sun. Never tried an easy, got something better, a Bakki Shower. Now all tyopes of algae probs ar a thing of the past for me. Water stays clear uless I muck it up, and I have been grossly overfeeding to see what maximum growth rates I could get. the typoe of blanket weed you all have does not grow here. We have different algae problems, our is more like US algaes, just with more varieties and colors.

I thought that I had gotten rid of my BW last year when I instealled the "Luke Pump" (17,000 propeller pump). No surface BW, however it grew on the liner in the heavy flow of the output of the pump and looked like my mullet except green It was stronger stuff, and didn't make it to the bottom drain like the other variety I have had in years past, so it was an improvement.

Oyagoi
    How did you get a luke pump greg, and how is it working? I want one! Now! I have been after luke about that for monthas and he keeps skirting the issue.LUKE__I NEED A LUKE PUMP PLZ!!!!