Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh water pawns

Oyagoi
    Not sure. I imagine any wholesale supplier would know for your area and state.

Will large koi eat mature live shrimp?

Daihonmei
    KFG,
    with the asian population growing in the USA and me not falling to sleep fast enough I thought of IT....you got me thinking....Brine shrimp Slurpees.....You will be rich beyond your wildest dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up And Shrimp Sauce Snowcones,

with a prawn on top instead of a cherry The hottest thing in Chinatown 7/11's since prawns in a blanket . KFG could run KFC out of business
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    KFG,
    with the asian population growing in the USA and me not falling to sleep fast enough I thought of IT....you got me thinking....Brine shrimp Slurpees.....You will be rich beyond your wildest dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation I almost forgot

CHICKEN FRIED CHUPPA'S Yup, KFG's spells the end of KFC.

Oyagoi
    Luke with all fo your fastfood revelations and insights I am not sure why you dont own one, your ideas could take you to the top of the fake burger meat pile....I wonder if they do use chuppa in those things now that I think about it, it does taste a little fishy......

KFG, there were a few people raising freshwater prawns (Macrobrachium rosenbergii = giant Malaysian prawn) in your part of the world during the late 1970's and early 80's. It works, but it's difficult to make any money at it. You have to buy the prawn postlarvae in the spring to stock the pond and harvest them before it gets too cold in the fall. The postlarvae cost about $30-$50 per thousand. Koi would immediately eat all the shrimp if put in the same pond - an expensive meal. There are also several native river shrimp from the Carolinas into Florida (Macrobrachium ohione and M. acanthurus) which do not get as large - maybe 4 inches. All of these need brackish water during their larval stages.

Then, there are several small freshwater and marine shrimp/prawns of the genus Palaemonetes which live in your coastal areas. These are often collected and sold as "feeder shrimp" in the pet stores. If you can collect them yourself or buy them cheaply enough, they are a great live food source for koi.

When it comes to feeding table shrimp to koi, it probably does not matter if they are saltwater or freshwater. Marine shrimp have a different fatty acid profile, but the difference seems to only be important when feeding marine fish.

You have one or two species of crawfish in your area as well.

Brine shrimp are crustaceans, but are not decapods - which is technically the true shrimp and crab family Brine shrimp are more closely related to the Daphnia and other tiny water fleas than they are to edible shrimp.

-steve hop kins

Yeah we have crawdads around here but I wonder how many would raise them to feed to koi?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12