Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a tinier planet than when we were young

Daihonmei

a tinier planet than when we were young

I watch the BBC news, mainly to get adifferent perspective on world issues. And they just mentioned Nigata is having its worst Winter EVER.
    Is any of it affecting the koi breeders?

(Odd to think I am in florida and watch the BBC news to find out about Japan's weather, and then I can turn around and ask Those in the know about it right away....)

Luke,

I absolutely agree with you that the world we live in becomes smaller every day. Can still remember when I lived in the US and my parents in Europe, that we called every once in a while becuase of the costs.

Nowadays we have e-mail, internet, free calls through the internet, etc. The world at our fingers!

As for the weather in Japan, I'm puzzled. Last week, there were reports on the news that there was major snowfall in Japan, 6 feet in Tokio. My sis went to Tokio last weekend, and guess what, hardly any snow at all.

Don't know about Niigata, but reports differ. Some say there was 12-15 feet of snow, some say 30 feet. Don't really know what to believe anymore, don't know whats average either.

Regenmeneer

P.S. the pic was taken from here Tokio hotel room last weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a tinier planet than when we were young-tokio1.jpg  

Just watched the massive walls of snow in some parts of Japan on CNN. And even more snow is coming in.

I'm just wondering if the massive snow, in combination with the effects of the 2004 earthquake, will lead to problems when the snow melts in spring. Anybody know if problems like landslides etc are expected in Niigata?

Regenmeneer

Yes, the world is smaller nowadays..... look at the koi-bito forum, sometime feel like we are all neighbors.....

I got an email from a friend at Tokyo University mentioned there was up to 13' of snow in Niigata and more than 50 deaths have been reported.... Our prayers are with them....

--Dinh

It's only smaller because you've gotten taller.... T-heheeee.... Couldn't resist that one!!!

One bit of information I have been asking for several weeks now but have yet to find the answer to is "What are conditions like in Okayama, where Momotaro Has kept a portion of his fish in the mud-ponds to aviod KHV contamination in his fish house?".
    I took a look last night with the weather service on Yahoo Messenger and at the moment the daytime temperatures are around 7C (44.6F) and drop to freezing at night. I imagine this is colder than normal for this part of Japan.

B.Scott

Here is a vido and some pics I found on the net about the record snowfall....

http://today.reuters.co.uk/tv/videoC...ce5737c0c74071
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a tinier planet than when we were young-2006_01_07t235420_450x342_us_weather_japan_snow.jpe   a tinier planet than when we were young-2469480341.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dubtaco
    Here is a vido and some pics I found on the net about the record snowfall....

http://today.reuters.co.uk/tv/videoC...ce5737c0c74071
    Seems like it hits the record.... Thanks for the video link....

--Dinh

Pretty deep thoughts...From what I hear from the people that came back this past Oct harvest not alot of people were around...Have the best of the best been bought up yet? It's true we have the world at our finger tips with the internet bringing the world in general to a screen by inputting yahoo.com...

Daihonmei
    wow? it seems like i get better info on what is going on in Japan by going to the British Koiboard? NI, It is a small world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast