Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with KOIUSA.

On the judging forum in the magazine the pics look like crap and they let those things go....so why the late posting of shows in the magazine that is supposed to cover AKCA Shows? Anyone within the AKCA can explain this....

Nisai
    I hear they are looking for a new editor. One way of getting great photos is to hire professionals...food for thought KOI USA.

all pictures look very good to me.....

I remember last year, we had live Sacramento Camillia koi show on this forum. It was so interesting to have a lot of live info during the show. Hope the Camillia Club will have an article with pix to submit to the AKCA for printing.....

Regards,
    --Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    He has resigned.. And he said that they were not of high enough resolution.. Here are a few examples of the pics that were no good. These are copied from our clubs website, so this is even worse quality then what what submitted to Koi USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chagoi
    I hear they are looking for a new editor. One way of getting great photos is to hire professionals...food for thought KOI USA.
    hummm, I would like JR or JG to take over this job.....

--Dinh

Oyagoi
    What? Edit a magazine? I don't have any experience a that at all.

Those pics look good enough, even if they have to be downsized a bit to keep resolution high in print. What we always did for our print ads was save them in a large gif or tif file. Less resolution lost that way. It might be helpful if they told you what format was best for their printer, and also if the pics arent good enough email you and give you a chance to contact the winners to get a beter one. Not hard to do in today's digital world.

Another obstacle can be the sending format, if sent via email sometimes a good size file won't go thru. One way to get around that is to put them on cd in large as possible format, even several formats, and send the cd in via mail.

I know nothing about magazine editing, but have done some advertising campaigns and editing for that. Editing a large mag is a alot of work. Then there are the politics, keeping everyone happy, and finding good fresh articles and material every edition??? Sounds like alot.

My hat goes off to Brian for his hard work.

lAST ARTICLE I EVER WROTE FOR THEM WAS 7-8 YEARS BACK. HAD TO HAVE ARTICLE IN BY SUCH AND SUCH DATE, PICTURES HAD TO BE A CERTAIN SIZE
    ETC. hIT EVERYTHING PERFECTLY AND A YEAR LATER MY SUBMISSION CAME TO PRINT. ....

I THINK THE MOST PROFOUND COMMENT IS THAT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE PROFESSIONALLY YOU MUST GET A PROFESSIONAL IN AND PAY THEM ACCORDINGLY.

i

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow

lAST ARTICLE I EVER WROTE FOR THEM WAS 7-8 YEARS BACK. HAD TO HAVE ARTICLE IN BY SUCH AND SUCH DATE, PICTURES HAD TO BE A CERTAIN SIZE
    ETC. hIT EVERYTHING PERFECTLY AND A YEAR LATER MY SUBMISSION CAME TO PRINT. ....

I THINK THE MOST PROFOUND COMMENT IS THAT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE PROFESSIONALLY YOU MUST GET A PROFESSIONAL IN AND PAY THEM ACCORDINGLY.

i
    Yes Dick, all clubs that turn in there show article and pics in a timely manor still have to wait for 10 to 12 months before the show is even printed in the mag. They need to have the shows in print in a much more timely manor. They say they need that much lead time.. I find that hard to believe, 50% of the magazine never changes the ads stay the same. So they only need to add and remove articles and photos. I think more people would submit more articles, if they could print in a timely fashion.

Nancy,
    I think your photos look great much better than 99% I have seen in Koi USA. I know that Koi USA works on a very long time frame. They have published every Texas Koi Show article and photos I have ever submitted (10+) but it usually takes 6-8 months.

Times are a changing. It is my understanding that KOI USA has been recently set up as a for profit corporation owned by AKCA which is still a non profit. Also Koi USA is searching for several magazine positions that will be paid for the first time. I believe this serves as positive signs that KOI USA Magazine will be improved in the near term.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    Yes Dick, all clubs that turn in there show article and pics in a timely manor still have to wait for 10 to 12 months before the show is even printed in the mag. They need to have the shows in print in a much more timely manor. They say they need that much lead time.. I find that hard to believe, 50% of the magazine never changes the ads stay the same. So they only need to add and remove articles and photos. I think more people would submit more articles, if they could print in a timely fashion.
    Nancy, that is called "cost cutting" or less operation cost ;-))
    Now, you see why you pay only 17 or less than 20 US dollars for a year of subscription....

--Dinh

The days of prepress have changed alot and believe me I have prepress experience. This is the digital age were printing can be from a digital submission, no need for a darkroom camera to make halftones everything is done on the computer now from making halftone to 4-6color seps....Right now there is one koi show covered in the magazine, which I find sad...very sad...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast