Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with KOIUSA.

I have had problems with pictures being refused (rather than rejected) by KoiKeepers Magazine and the NVN mag. But at least they were polite enough to let me know there was a problem and not just ignore my submission. Both of these mags are a high quality production and some of my pics would have appeared too small to show some of the detail necessary for the story. I had to source better pics to keep them happy.

This has never been the case with Koi Carp Mag, which I would say is a similar print quality to KoiUSA. They seemingly take anything, because they have never rejected any I have sent. However, I have noticed a drop off in picture quality occasionally so I invested in a better Digital camera for Christmas.

As to the delay between submitting and article and getting in printed... I have had that down to as little as five weeks, although it has to be said, that the article had been agreed with the mag in advance and I delivered on time.

rgds
    Bern
    South East Koi Club

Nisai
    "And he said that they were not of high enough resolution"

"I contacted the editor, he said our pictures were not of high enough quality for print"

Nancy, what kind of camera was used to take these photos. Did they say the pictures were not good enough or that they were not high enough DPI? The quality of the photos seems fine, meaning no glare and the colors seem correct. But to print in a magazine the DPI needs to be high or the resolution will be poor. From your quotes above, it seems this was the problem, not the composition of the photograph. You can beef up the DPI in Photoshop, but that won't improve the resolution. Its all about the quality of the original image....a high mega pixel camera with optical (not digital) zoom and the highest image size must be used.

Hello! My name is Endigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Cannon Rebel Digital, He said the file size was to small not high enough resolution. Koi Usa prefers digital pics for the magazine. They only want 35 mil camera photo( Negatives) for AKCA fish of the year and Champion of Champion ( that way there can be no photoshop involved) Anyway all this is besides the point, The picture of the Kohaku was used in 2 different magazine ads, and they had no problem with the photo's quality. And both ads look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfhead
    "And he said that they were not of high enough resolution"

"I contacted the editor, he said our pictures were not of high enough quality for print"

Nancy, what kind of camera was used to take these photos. Did they say the pictures were not good enough or that they were not high enough DPI? The quality of the photos seems fine, meaning no glare and the colors seem correct. But to print in a magazine the DPI needs to be high or the resolution will be poor. From your quotes above, it seems this was the problem, not the composition of the photograph. You can beef up the DPI in Photoshop, but that won't improve the resolution. Its all about the quality of the original image....a high mega pixel camera with optical (not digital) zoom and the highest image size must be used.

Nisai
    The canon rebel is a pretty decent camera, should have been able to take high enough resolution images. And if they were used in other magazines, I would think they are ok for KoiUSA. Might be they use some different printing method or something...who knows.

If you look at the MAKC GC the shimi that was on it disappeared, now this is in this month's magazine....Camera of a rebel which is around 5-6MP should suffice the quality they are looking for. The type of paper stock they use for the magazine should reproduce the pics fine.

Talking

Hi Folks,
    I sent this thread to a friend who is on the board of koi usa. I am sure the impute from all of you can only help . Surfhead was right on when he mentioned resulution as far as the koikichi show photo shots. I was also told by the editor that the fish when blown up were comming out too blurry. So now this ? comes to mind. Would we be happy if our fish came out in the magazine and did not meet our expectations ? I was looking forward to see my baby champ in print and waiting for zna so ca too. Depending on how many clubs submit their show info will determine the wait. I too would like to see more show info but if its not sent it becomes slim pickens.
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Louie
    Hi Folks,
    I sent this thread to a friend who is on the board of koi usa. I am sure the impute from all of you can only help . Surfhead was right on when he mentioned resulution as far as the koikichi show photo shots. I was also told by the editor that the fish when blown up were comming out too blurry. So now this ? comes to mind. Would we be happy if our fish came out in the magazine and did not meet our expectations ? I was looking forward to see my baby champ in print and waiting for zna so ca too. Depending on how many clubs submit their show info will determine the wait. I too would like to see more show info but if its not sent it becomes slim pickens.
    Louie
    Hi Louie
    Thank you for your post on this thread. I agree we all want our show pictures to be the best possible. And we will all miss not being able to see the show winners in the magazine. Hopefully we will have better comunications with Koi USA in the future. Sorry your Baby Grand Champion will not be in it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123