Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HenryC's Pond Construction

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    Wondering....
    Who has the bigger pond now...you, MikeM, or the other guy that they are doing??????????

Are you and MikeM bonding ... "Brothers of the Polyurea"
    MikeM and my ponds are just about the same volume. Mike's is 12,500 gallons which is what we estimated mine will be. I have a meter hooked up to my pond supply line, so I will know the exact volume once I fill it. Dr. Barroso's new pond will be the largest. His should be about 15,000 gallons maybe more (its shape makes it hard to estimate). I'll post photos of his construction soon. He has 3 ponds, 2 female and 1 male. The male pond is 3600 gallons and the other female pond is 9500 gallons.

Yes Brothers of the Polyurea. I climbed down into the pond tonight to take a look around. The polyurea is smooth as silk.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Smile

Henry,

The pond is looking fantastic - you'll see me real soon to inspect!

With the polyurea spray, when the heated spray comes out of the gun, how long until the surface is hard? I know it has to be pretty fast.

And listening to Carl, I didn't fully understand the epoxy around the inlet/outlets until I saw it. That will make a great seal.

The air pits look interesting. With the 9 ft. depth, what kinda airpressure will you need to get down to those stones?

Looks great! Thanks for all the great pictures.

Jeff

Jeff, the polyurea is dry enough for Cary to walk on within a few minutes.

Between the 2 air pits there is a total of 12 large air stones. I have an Airtech 120 dedicated to just those stones so it should create 2 serious columns of air.

Everyone who has gone through a major pond project has a shared experience of dirt, noise, disruption, worry and an empty wallet. For some reason, it seems worth it all.

Henry, I know it is "only" 8' deep, but it sure looks deeper! Your gals are going to be thrilled.

In my posts last night, I mentioned that I had hoped that today John and I could work on the filter pit plumbing but everyone needed to be over at the other pond construction site to help out with the polyurea prep and spray. Carl called me this morning to tell me that the "Internet fairy" had answered my prayers It worked out better for their schedule for us to get my filter pit ready and then John and I would work on the plumbing the rest of the day. First, the platforms for the Nexus filters were created. We temporarily set the Nexus units in place and marked where the support footings were needed. A laser level was used to determine the required height for each pillar. Since the pit floor is slightly sloped toward the drain, each pillar needed to be a different height to make each Nexus level as well as the correct height. Two pieces of rebar were installed into the pit floor (drilled then hammered into place), then the cardboard tube filled with concrete. Then a little more mortar was placed on top of each pillar then Carl and I lowered each Nexus into place. The height was checked with the laser level again and adjusted for proper height and level.

Now John and I could start the part he and I have been eagerly awaiting, the plumbing in the filter pit. Both John and I are pretty anal about the plumbing, so we took our time and did everything just right. Actually, John did most of the planning and I just helped. I think it is one of the sexiest Nexus installs I have seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install1.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install2.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install3.jpg  

Oyagoi
    Clear tubes and slide valves, woohoo. Are you going to cover the filter pit?

Smile

Henry, are those Performance Pro Artesians about 1 horse. Just got one myself to test against Starite sprinkler pump for power usage and gallon output. Amp. draw is about 9 for PP and 19 for Sta pump at full speed rotation each. Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    Clear tubes and slide valves, woohoo. Are you going to cover the filter pit?
    My original plan was to build a pergola over the pit, but "the boss" nixed that idea. Maybe sometime down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    Henry, are those Performance Pro Artesians about 1 horse. Just got one myself to test against Starite sprinkler pump for power usage and gallon output. Amp. draw is about 9 for PP and 19 for Sta pump at full speed rotation each. Looking good!
    No, those are sequence 1/2hp pumps. I did not need anything as large as a 1hp due to the efficient design of the plumbing.

Smile

[QUOTE=HenryC]No, those are sequence 1/2hp pumps. I did not need anything as large as a 1hp due to the efficient design of the plumbing.[/QUOTE

OK, so Sequence 1/2 hp, good to 23' of head @ 1500- 6600 gph
    Draws 539 watts so converting watts to amps uumm...
    Amps = Watts / Voltage .. I = P(539) divided by (120) volts.. 4.49 Amps?

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast