Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HenryC's Pond Construction

[QUOTE=kingkong]
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryC
    No, those are sequence 1/2hp pumps. I did not need anything as large as a 1hp due to the efficient design of the plumbing.[/QUOTE

OK, so Sequence 1/2 hp, good to 23' of head @ 1500- 6600 gph
    Draws 539 watts so converting watts to amps uumm...
    Amps = Watts / Voltage .. I = P(539) divided by (120) volts.. 4.49 Amps?
    Correct. With the friction loss I calculated on the returns, I am expecting the Sequence 1/2hp to pump ~6000gph. This allows me to use 1 pump for both Nexus units. That allows for the same flow as two 1/4hp or 1/3hp pumps while using less power. The outlet for each Nexus has a valve so that I can balance the pull between the 2 Nexus. The other Sequence you see in the pit is for the bakki shower.

We have been lucky so far with the weather, but it is raining today (probably off and on all day). John and Bobby set up an awning to get some of their equipment dry. They are hoping to finish up the filter pit plumbing today. As of lunch time, the plumbing on the second Nexus is complete and they have started on connecting the pumps to the returns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-rainy-day.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install4.jpg  

John had the same idea for my overflow that I used on one of my club member's ponds. A wye is plumped in from one of the bottom drain lines just before entering a Nexus. Pipe is extended up to the desired water level and then back down to a waste line. Two expansion joints are used to allow the water level to be adjusted. A tee is used at the top with the end left open so that a siphon is not created. Another wye is plumbed into the other Nexus feed and will be used for the auto-fill float valve assembly (pictures of that once it is installed).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-overflow.jpg  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Carl has now decided he does not like the way the pond has turned out. He started to fill it in to start over. We convinced him that the pond is "good enough"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-starting-over.jpg  

Last night, Carl broke out the hammer drill and drilled the hole for our bronze sculpture mount. The artist calls this piece "Utopia". You can see more of his work at http://robbierobins.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-utopia-mounted.jpg  

I think I must be hearing water ... but the rain stopped yesterday. ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I think I must be hearing water ... but the rain stopped yesterday. ?
    Yes you hear water. Sorry no pics yesterday but I worked on the pond with the guys all day. I stayed up until 3am working (job related) so that I could stay home yesterday. I'll post pics later today. There is still a little plumbing left to do so I could not fill it all the way. I cut off the water about 11:30 last night after 7700 gallons had gone in. Once the pond got past the bottom slope, I took a measurement from the water line to the top of the pond, then did it again later; both times recording the water meter gallonage. From that I could get an accurate value for how many gallons per inch of water the pond holds. By that calculation, the pond needs another ~4500 gallons to be full. At the 1200gph rate I am getting out of my 1" feed, I should be able to finish filling tonight. I'll let the water circulate for a day before moving the Koi from the garage to their new home.

This must be the fastest pond construction project ever! Great job Henry et al, and thanks for keeping us informed all through the project.

Rgds

Regenmeneer

Open the pod bay doors HAL!!!!

Here is my underwater camera mounted in the wall. A 1.5" pipe is mounted flush with the wall. O-rings have been placed around the camera and with a little O-ring lubricant, it slid in making a fairly tight seal. The conduit does extend up above water level just in case water does make it through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-camera3.jpg  

Here is the filter pit just about completed. The bakki media will be here next week, so I will finish setting up the shower at that time. I also still need to complete the auto-fill. You can see the float switch just below and to the right of the bakki shower. Tomorrow I will clean up the pit and finish painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install5.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-filter_pit_install6.jpg  

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast