Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HenryC's Pond Construction

Smile

At 8 feet there will be considerable water pressure. With concrete block walls, they will need to be tied in well with steel and poured concrete.
    At sea level air's pressure is 14.7 pounds per square inch (PSI).
    Each foot of water creates water pressure of 0.43 PSI
    0.43 x 8 feet is 3.44 PSI + air pressure 14.7 PSI ( one atmosphere) would equal
    18.14 PSI at the 8 foot depth.
    Just for the fun of it, how many pounds of pressure would be exerted on one concrete block under 8 feet of water that is 8" x 16"? 128 square inches x 18.14 PSI or 2,355.2 lbs. of pressure?

Daihonmei
    KK...
    ewww 2355.2 lbs of pressure per block....well the crete is probably rated to handle that per SQUARE INCH...So it is not the least little bit of a concern in the structure that forss and henryC have in mind...and as I recall HenryC has this anal retentive ENGINNER mind, yes?

Henry,
    that was a great little pond you had...then again "great little pond" is an oxymoron....
    You are a man....a man with a caring wife too.

Smile

True, I uderstand Henry has the bull by the horns but for the casual observor. Most concrete is rated 2000 to 2500 psi compressive strength true. As long as the block are used as forms to pour concrete, connecting to a solid poured pad or bottom, the sides will hold adequately. But, I have seen block simply mortered in place expecting this construction to withstand the forces of water and at times failling due to lack of support or structural integrity.

Nice job Henry. It is interesting to me to see how Americans and the English seem to favor the more formal pool designs as compared to the meandering Japanese style layouts.

Looks like a great project!

Thank you very much for he pictures and drawings. Sure is interesting, and will keep following the project.

Regenmeneer

Sansai
    Henry this is going to be a great project to follow and I look forward to seeing the progress unfold. Especially since my current pond is inside a birdcage.

One question about the drains. Do you anticipate any problems of the drains sweeping the bottom without dome covers?

Henry, you know I'll be around sometime this weekend to marvel at the mess! ...I hope Leslie had to travel this week.

Folks, Henry's former pond produced the best grown koi to be found in the area. His filtration, DIY trickle tower & attentiveness to maintenance worked wonders. I'd never have gotten so sucked into this hobby if he had not shown what was possible. Henry, I can't really imagine what it has to be like to have that pond gone, with everything you did to make it purr.

But this is truly grand. And 8 feet deep..... It's gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    At 8 feet there will be considerable water pressure. With concrete block walls, they will need to be tied in well with steel and poured concrete.
    The concrete block cells will be filled with concrete and rebar. Carl has done a lot of big construction projects, so he knows what he is doing when it comes to concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    ....a man with a caring wife too.
    Well said and VERY VERY true!!!

Daihonmei
    less typing, more pictures

Quote Originally Posted by RobR
    One question about the drains. Do you anticipate any problems of the drains sweeping the bottom without dome covers?
    That was the one thing I had to get past with Carl's suggestion. The 2 air pits will provide the same sweeping action. That combined with the currents that will be created by ~12,000 gallons per hour coming out of the TPRs and another 5000 gallons per hour from the bakki shower return, should keep the bottom clean.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast