Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HenryC's Pond Construction

Demolition was slowed a little bit today. It appears that when the gunite was shot for the old pond, they got a little over zealous on the bottom. Instead of the 6" thick specified, the bottom is more like 10" thick. That is too thick to cut with the 14" saw Carl's team brought. They have some ideas on how to get through it tomorrow. I think I heard something about blasting caps and an explosives permit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-demo5.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-demo6.jpg  

Honmei

Smile Koi Kichi is alive in Florida!

It is really great to see what you are planning to do. Your first pond was outstanding, but, like you say, with the large Koi you have, they do deserve a new, larger pond.
    I look forward to seeing more. Thank You

Russell Peters

Mid-day update. Even with it being Friday the 13th, it appears the C4 directional charges did the trick. The pond bottom is out. It is amazing to watch Carl work the back hoe. He makes it look like a extension to his own hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-demo7.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-demo8.jpg  

looks like you got thru your 10 inches of pond bottom. A small bobcat with tramac hydraullic hammer could have done fast work on that cement! Most rental places could have provided one.

looks like your going forward from here Henry...keep the photos comin.....

Fry

Smile

Good luck!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryC
    After seeing MikeM's new pond being built, I could not hold off any more. Construction of my new pond has now started in earnest. My old pond was a 3500 gallon gunite shell, very well filtered, crystal clear water that kept my Grand Champions in very good shape. But any true Koi Kichi would not be satisfied with that size of pond, so out it goes. Below is a photo taken last year:

I got home after the crew was finished for the day. After getting the old pond bottom out, they started to dig out the new pond. They have the hole down to about 7' deep and will finish the dig tomorrow morning. You can't see much here since they covered the area with a tarp due to the storm coming in. Hopefully it won't rain too much tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-dig1.jpg  

The new bottom drains arrived tonight. I have already nicknamed them "Rhino-i" for Rhino "indoor". I have been told the air pit and this new bottom drain will be available for purchase soon. I would not recommend using this drain on a pond that could get leaves in it as the bottom drain cover could get blocked (the regular Rhino-I and Rhino-II are best suited for outdoor ponds). As you can see below, they look identical to the air pits from the top. With the grate removed, you can see a ring welded on the inside and the outlet. The area will be filled with epoxy so that the bottom slopes from this ring down to the outlet creating a mini vortex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HenryC's Pond Construction-rhino-i_1.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-rhino-i_2.jpg   HenryC's Pond Construction-rhino-i_3.jpg  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC
    The new bottom drains arrived tonight. I have already nicknamed them "Rhino-i" for Rhino "indoor". I have been told the air pit and this new bottom drain will be available for purchase soon. I would not recommend using this drain on a pond that could get leaves in it as the bottom drain cover could get blocked (the regular Rhino-I and Rhino-II are best suited for outdoor ponds). As you can see below, they look identical to the air pits from the top. With the grate removed, you can see a ring welded on the inside and the outlet. The area will be filled with epoxy so that the bottom slopes from this ring down to the outlet creating a mini vortex.
    I like these bottom drains, looks cool. How is the pricing compare to a regular spindrift?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I like these bottom drains, looks cool. How is the pricing compare to a regular spindrift?
    I have no idea on the cost of the drains since I do not have a cost breakdown on Carl's work. I'll ask Carl if he has a price in mind.

Nice, can't wait to see more..................pic's.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast