Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bringing Koi From Canada To US

Bringing Koi From Canada To US

I've been asked whether there are rules/regulations governing a Canadian who wants to bring koi into US for showing at the Central Florida Koi Show in March. He has also asked if there are other regulations applicable if he gets a booth to sell koi. I have no idea!... Perhaps some our "near-the-border" posters can give me info worth passing along?

Oyagoi
    He has to go through the same process as any dealer who imports in order to sell. He might do better to coordinate with an existing dealer who imports. Customs, duties, taxes, inspections, liscenses, certified and approved facilities, etc.

Does he have any friends who are dealers who import in the US? Maybe we have an observing dealer who can lend a hand to this person.
    They are really sensitive about importing live animals, as they can carry diseases and wipe out animal populations in entire regions. He should contact a dealer to find out the process and where to get the proper paperwork and what to expect. He should ask someone who has walked through it with pet fish.

Tategoi
    Mike--we have this happen every year at the Seattle Show. Our friends from Vancouver, BC brave the border and come down to show, which we appreciate.

They have to fill out a form provided by the US government which is basically a veterinary certificate for the fish certifying good health to the best of their knowledge. It did not appear difficult for these competitors to get done.

The first year they came, they got turned back at the border, went back and got the paperwork signed and came down, still arriving before the benching deadline.

As far as I know, there is no heavy process for returning to Canada with the fish.

Hope this helps.
    ChrisC

Thanks, Chris & Jungle.

Oyagoi
    U r welcome mike, I cant wait to see this show develop. I think your friedn will find it alot easier to do things legally if he either just hsows and does what our friend mentioned above. If he wants to sell he runs into a whole other legal and business, tax, insurance, and commerce area.

If he really desires to sell, he has a much larger process to go through unless he works with a dealer already liscnesed and set up for that. A word to the wise, all it takes is one angry or jealous dealer or offended part to make one call if he sells under the table, which could lead tot hem shutting him down for good. I would really recommend him to seek a relationship with an existing dealer to help him. Brian from Morninglight (chagoi) imports and knows all the rules, regs, and requirements.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I've been asked whether there are rules/regulations governing a Canadian who wants to bring koi into US for showing at the Central Florida Koi Show in March. He has also asked if there are other regulations applicable if he gets a booth to sell koi. I have no idea!... Perhaps some our "near-the-border" posters can give me info worth passing along?
    Mike,
    I don't understand if he is a dealer, how can he show the fish?

A person who engages in dealing in koi cannot enter koi in this show. I did not get into that here, since I simply wanted to provide guidance regarding the questions which arose.

Sansai
    Lots of bad diseases everywhere, trying to cut down on tranfer from country to country.