Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Males or Females

Jumbo

Males or Females

If a person like my self wants to keep some nice koi as pets and dosn't want to go through the hassles of their fish trying to span, would I be better keeping all males or all females?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each sex?

Males tend to stay smaller, peak/fade in color intensity sooner and cost less.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan
    When you say fade sooner, how old are you talking Ray?

for a koi keeper into the hobby to enjoy the koi, males as per Ray's reasons make better sense

for a koi keeper into shows who wants a chance to win major prizes in older koi then females would be a good option

my quess for you Steve would be males would work just fine. (until you get the show bug )LOL!

Question Females and egg impaction

A question for your Ray. If someone wanted to have larger koi with greater color longevity they would logically go with females. Would yearly egg production without males to stimulate their release cause long term health problems due to impaction? I'm not considering anything of the sort myself, but your post brought the question to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan

It is impossible to say a average lenght of time for a male koi to reach it's peak and then start to decline. Much depends on water quality, conditions, and general care. If I had to give a estimate I would say most male koi are starting to peak by 2-4 years. Some peak at 3 months other never peak. In general I would say they can hold their peak for a season or two and then start to decline. But I have seen 12 year old males that still look pretty good. THere are exceptions to everything koi except "there are no good cheap koi."

Nisai
    Hi Birdman, could you inform us your pond's size? and zone? It sounds like you are a beginner and Ray's answer is just about to cover everything.

One day when the koi bug gets you, please write back ... and we have a new set of selection for you.

PapaBear, after all those years have you not learned how to keep the girls from trouble?

For female koi, the secret is in the winter fasting technique. Most people re-feed early, like March or so, and these food energy would go to eggs production. Feeding early is also stress the entire pond if the good bacteria are yet to re-established. Delaying the feeing until May has produced good result for me. An all female pond is also help but nothing is perfect. Once you severely fast them in the winter don't even think about further fasting for summer koi shows. MA Le

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mynamy1
    Hi Birdman, could you inform us your pond's size? and zone? It sounds like you are a beginner and Ray's answer is just about to cover everything.

MA Le
    My current pond is 17,000 gal. There's all sorts of pictures at
    http://www.redroselofts.com/koi-pond.htm

Part of this pond will get re done this summer as I'm going to build a new indoor pond. I live near Redmond, Oregon.

He is not new to this for sure, but learn the koi types, there is a good website that will pronouce each type and I will try and fine it for you and post I just can think of it right now.

Nisai
    Oh dear Lord! Birdman! What a project! What an eye-treating landscaping!

Back to reality, I do think the bug ALREADY got ya! So am I right or am I right? Is is just a matter of time when you would crave for an beautiful and large-body female that eat right out of your hand. As a matter of fact, you like female (koi or whatever) so much that the concern for eggs make you posted here! So so interesting.

Would like to have a question for you: Your pond has only one 4" b.drain, is that true? From b.drain to 500g vortex to pump and bead filter, that circuit gage you about 5K gph. How do the other pumps interface with your filtration? MA Le

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast