Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Birdman's Indoor Pond

Jumbo

Birdman's Indoor Pond

I have been talking about building a new pond that will be inside a passive solar addition we want to add on to the house. Today I started on the project. My new indoor pond is going where my old upper Plant Pond is, so today I drained it. Tomorrow, weather pernitting I'll dismantle my bridge and hopefully pull the liner. Then the fun starts. Digging.

Sansai
    Good luck. Have you thought about moisture issues?

Dont forget the bottom drain and settling chamber!!

Fry
    Hi,

To avoid condensation it is recommended to keep the air temperature approx 2deg C higher than the water temp.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal
    Dont forget the bottom drain and settling chamber!!

Jumbo
    Paul, Ruth, thanks for mentioning the moisture issue. I have thought about that. I have a couple experienced people I will be working with when the sun room goes up and we will plan for this.

Jumbo
    Got my bridge removed today and Dan, one of my neighbors that also has a koi pond came over to help. It was quite a struggle getting the liner out as it still had just a bit of water in it, But we got it out. Dan took it and will be adding a 2nd pond and water fall to his pond. I didn't get any digging done and the weather's going to get bad for a bit so I might have to wait. I also ordered my bottom drains and skimmer yesterday. Here's a couple pics of todays progress.

Sansai
    Make sure your ceiling and foundation can take the evaporated water.

Jumbo
    Had a backhole come out and got the digging out of the way. We went down 7 feet and hit solid rock. I had to re route my water line and will have to re route the propane line. I got a couple of photos in progress but we worked till dark so I'll have some more today after the sun's up.

Thanks for the photo progress. Did the excavation bother your slumbering "babies' in the pond next door?

After you get done with yours can you come up and start on mine! (LOL)

Nisai

Sun Room Addition for Indoor Pond

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    I have been talking about building a new pond that will be inside a passive solar addition we want to add on to the house. Today I started on the project. My new indoor pond is going where my old upper Plant Pond is, so today I drained it. Tomorrow, weather pernitting I'll dismantle my bridge and hopefully pull the liner. Then the fun starts. Digging.
    Birdman:

Just found your post.....just completed my 1000 sq foot addition in January 2006.. (Approx. 33' x 33' x 19' height to pine ceiling with some 500 sq/ft of glass on the end wall, southern exposure overlooking the gravel pit lake and futute outside watercourse. I will be using this area both passively and actively to help heat the main house with its two large openings into the walk down addition. I had to use thermal mass in the floor (120 tonnes of crushed stone- "rock bin technology" below 6" slab concrete floor) to help with the potential overheating during those winter months when the sun is low in the sky (greenhouse effect). I want to build a small indoor pond to growout and enjoy small koi during these winter cold months near our bar and entertainment area. In my post on this forum, many advised me of the potential humidity issues. However, I feel I could deal with this effectively as our winters are somewhat dry and cold ....and having the large amount of cubic feet of open area I could control this humidity better than in a smaller space???? If summer time is an issue I could drain the water (trial and error I guess)......one point was made......SIZE of pond....I was going to use a 300 gal poly tank and build a circular wall around it to back straight wall (half a circle), finished with flagstone top edging but I may rethink this and just build an area with concrete block to create more water space and use a 45 mil liner inside the concrete block for a fuller water look and capacity (Approx 8' long x 5' wide and 30"to 36" deep- half circledesign) between the 2 walk down steps into the addition. How big will your total indoor pond be????? In my case any ideas on how to secure to liner to the top of the concrete block and top stone cap for sitting???? The outside radius vertical concrete 3' wall will be finished with culture stone to match the area behind the woodstove. I will use rebar to reinforce this radius from the water pressure on top of the tile floor>>>>>the back wall is the existing brick from the main house) any suggests or thoughts are welcome with this idea......I will post this project once I finalize the design and materials to use. any other concerns to investigate. Thanks

Rowly

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast