Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rules" of Leaving Koi in Breeder's Mud Pond

"Rules" of Leaving Koi in Breeder's Mud Pond

What are general practices of having a breeder grow out your koi in their mud pond?

If you buy something, are they willing to generally grow out anything (like tosai tateshista that you may like, but may not be worth their time), or just their deemed tategoi? Yes, I know "trust the breeder, they know their lines best" but hey, it's your money. Speaking of which, do they make anything off this practice?

All I've heard are the following generalities for Niigata (pls correct if wrong):
    • tosai or nisai ~US$100 per season
    • sansai or above ~US$300 per season
    • breeders are generally trustworthy (won't "lose" your fish)
    • risk is 100% yours
    Any other bullet points??? Thanks...

Xiaohuang

This last season the price for nisai tategoi was around $500.00. I don't know about tosai. I can tell you most breeders don't want to mess around with tateshita and chuppa. You buy, you take!! They simply don't have the room to add these fish to their mud ponds. It's not worth it to them to take up additional space for something they didn't think was worthy to begin with.

I know one breeder in particular who was hesitating keeping a particular nisai to grow on for a customer. The breeder selected one fish only from his #1 nisai gosanke pond to keep. This was his #2 fish of the year. He finally agreed, but watching his facial expressions, he wasn't too thrilled about it. COST = $500 US!!

Tosai

only tategoi

Breeders are contrained with respect to mudponds. They simply don't have the space to growout more than their tategoi. If you want a koi to be kept longer by the breeder you can only expect them to do so if you would buy a promising koi that fits into their practices of Quality & low stocking/mudpond.
    The tradeoff they would make in order to keep tateshita for another year is too costly for them to do, the opportunity cost is as high as the price of a high quality koi that does has the value of growing one more season.
    So for the same price, taking all costs into consideration, tategoi is tategoi, and tateshita is tateshita.

gaetano
    Koi-Dangi

Hey Mike, just a note we got the 100/300 price quoted by 2 Niigata breeders in Oct 2005... one medium sized breeder, and one a large producer.

Tosai
    I think you guys are having a misunderstanding,
    I think Xiaohuang means the cost of growing out one more season excluding purchase cost of the fish itself (Correct me if I m the one who's wrong )

Gaetano

My experience is limited. I have had koi grown on for an additional 1-2 years at four different breeders in Japan. Prices quoted for tosai was $300 year. Nisai and Sansai was $300 to $500 per year. You need to discuss this at the time you purchase. They are generally not willing to grow on a male only females. If you leave more than one year the breeder will decide if worth growing a 2nd year. Their space is limitied especially after the niigata earthquates so prices may have increased somewhat.

100% of risk is yours as many discovered after the earthquakes.

Sansai

Momotaro

I am paying $1,000/year for sansei at Momotaro.

I think at Momotaro it is $300 for tosai.
    $500 for Nisai mudpond 4000T mudpond and $1000 for Nisai natural mudpond

Gaetano

The prices I and others quoted here are exclusive of the price of the fish. JR's numbers and mine are basically right on the mark.

Xiaohuang, send me a pm, I'm curious to know which breeders quoted those prices - they're awfully cheap!!

Dang maybe I need to be growing out some koi for you guys. 1000.00 dollars a year. Heck I would be happy with 500 dollars a year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast