Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new isa showas. pls comment! thanks!

Tosai

Smile new isa showas. pls comment! thanks!

isa showas....12 to 14 inches would appreciate any comments! Good or bad.

thanks,

long
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new isa showas. pls comment! thanks!-isa-showa.jpg  

Long long

I personally like the one on the right. For me, the other three just have too much hi. I'm assuming these are nisai, right?!

yes, too much hi on all of them... For showa, I like to see three colors on the head....

Tosai

Talking thanks

thanks koiczar and dinh!

koiczar - yup nissai

dinh - the whole batch was like this so probably came from one spawning. Its an upgrade to my current showas that why i wasnt too picky saw a big isa from my dealer that the black was just beautiful with red base also so i was hopinh they will come out that way...

LL

One thing to always remember - Every breeder has several quality levels of koi they sell, from tategoi, to tateshita, to high class to chuppa. If you can't afford the tategoi (not too many can), then try to buy tateshita. These are fish that the breeder graded to be just "slightly" less quality than tategoi. They can only keep a certain number of fish based on availability of mud ponds. So these fish are culled. e.g., if a breeder keeps 250 nisai to grow on (tate sansai) then you might end up with fish #251. Just learn all you can about a particular breeder's bloodline, how they develop, how big they get, etc. and how they will develop in YOUR POND! Then, and only then, can you begin to appreciate nishikigoi and what a labor of love it is for a breeder. You will enjoy this hobby so much more with a higher level of understanding.

Now, having said all that, here's my honest opinion about your Isa showas. IMHO, your dealer got a really good buy on some chuppa class fish from Isa. I was at his greenhouse again this year and saw his many ponds/grades of fish. I'm not trying to discourage you and your efforts to develop these fish. Grow them, learn about his bloodline, look at other higher class fish from him and learn all you can. Then you will train and develop your eye.

Keep us posted on these fish. I'm very much interested to see how they develop in your part of the world. Maybe you can take some pictures of them in your autumn and post them for all of us to see.

Good Luck

Mike

Smile

I would buy all those hi showa for asking price and offer tip as well. They look nice to me but have moved on to more desirable koi types myself.

OGON OGON OGON OGON OGON

I'm not excited by any of them. If I was getting one, I'd take the one at the bottom with less intense Hi. Appears female. The Hi is either fading or still consolidating. I think consolidating. Tough to decide in a photo. This is not the best of Isa, but she would give your pond the "flavor" of his Showa.

Tosai

Thumbs up :-)

once again all of your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Just a little background.... Though im currently overstocked in my 100 ton pond i am building a one hectare mud pond for growing some of my kois thats why im kinda confident adding more fishes. That said, even if these are not indicative of the best of isa; these showas are still better than most of what i currently have in my pond Also imported stocks arrive in my dealer just about once every three months and i "cant" wait and hope to get better stocks so i just pick every shipment

mike m - thanks, i really have just around 10 showas before this and was looking to add more. All are about 90% female from looking at the vent according to my dealer. He was trained by tanaka (hiroshi?) so im kinda taking his word on it

kingkong - thanks you will probably be surprised how reasonable i got these kois. Maybe shipping is a lot cheaper here plus my good relationship with my dealer. a lot cheaper than similar quality kois ive seen posted for sale in the internet.

koiczar - once again thanks! im learning to be more discerning in my choices and develop my eye but the selection i see here are kinda limited. It would be nice to have higher and lower class isa showas to compare but sadly that is not the case here. Being in a smaller city, my dealer wouldnt really risk getting the high grade tategois and end up being stuck with it. Also while price is not too much of a problem, there arent really shows here to validate your choice for the price of a tategoi. I will try to get pics after thems pending some time in my pond.

Talking Please keep us updated

While most would agree these are not the ultimate Showas it is still very interesting to many of to see how they develop. I am constantly looking for how each breeders bloodlines develop, and since I can't keep koi from every breeder in my pond I look forward to posts like these where i might glean some insight into how particular breeders choices and bloodlines develop. Good luck.

Longlong which province are you in to build this mudpond? Getting back to the Showas, they are all nice. Yeah, everyone says 3 colors on the head, but to each is his own and price of kindai to oldstyle is different. For Nisai these are small, so if your expecting these to grow jumbo you have a 60% chance or even lower. But, knowing the bloodline the fish can only get better in quality not in size.

In ilocos, I was planning to build a mudpond and they have deep wells that feed from the river which makes the water soft. I wish you luck on the mudpond. I also heard that Japanese koi has become a fad of some sort and getting popular.

Ingats,
    Tony
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast