Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new rule to being a ZNA Member....

Daihonmei

A new rule to being a ZNA Member....

How come ZNA Members don't have to go to Japan first... I mean we have Koi and the AKCA here...They are after the Japanese flavor...which is in Japan, right?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    How come ZNA Members don't have to go to Japan first... I mean we have Koi and the AKCA here...They are after the Japanese flavor...which is in Japan, right?
    Maybe when you look to leadership or judges you want them to be best equiped to answer any question. By far we will have differences in the way we look at koi. People love their koi that look like Monet's from afar but up close look like crap. Anyways, is going to Japan overrated? No.

Honmei

ZNA Guidance

The reason to join ZNA here is so that you have the opportunity to learn about Koi and Judging the way that the Japanese do it, after all they started the whole thing.

Daihonmei
    Whooooooooosh

Honmei

Unhappy Why Luke, Why?

Nothing seems to make you happy, why are you here?

Daihonmei
    Usually the conversations are about koi...
    and not "Mommy the boys over there are talking about me..."
    Or "I wanna make a new rule about what people should have to do in order to be something that i have No control over"

Will this board please go back to its intent?

Honmei

Hmmmmmm, Question

Russell, when you say:

The reason to join ZNA here is so that you have the opportunity to learn about Koi and Judging the way that the Japanese do it, after all they started the whole thing.
    Do you mean how the breeders judge, the dealers judge, or how the hobbyists judge? There are differences in perspectives and thus results. There are also cultural differences in judging as well based on what different culture percieve to be more desireable......not better or worse mind you but preferable to each. Even within ZNA judging, I see these cultural perspectives effecting judging preferences.

Steve

Steve

I also see the differences between ZNA or Shinkokai and the AKCA. Here fish are judged more for pattern, pattern and more pattern. As I have been very fortunate to spend some time in Japan, including this past AJKS, I find myself torn between what I thought I knew and what I have been shown in Japan. A prime example is this year's GC. I don't think that fish would win an AKCA show here, all things being equal, due to her head pattern. There, it's most always about the quality of the fish (the whole package). Pattern is the last thing they consider. It seems that here, we're still learning how to read body conformation, tsuya and teri. The judging staff for the All Bay Area Show will make things very interesting. The head judge is the manager at Ogawa Koi Farm, another is a major dealer in Japan, Grant Fujita, Jim Reilly and Burt Ballou. A very prestigious group indeed. I can't wait to see how the fish get judged. In fact, I'm havin' one helluva time trying to figure out which fish to take based on the above. What a Decision!!

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar
    Steve

I also see the differences between ZNA or Shinkokai and the AKCA. Here fish are judged more for pattern, pattern and more pattern. As I have been very fortunate to spend some time in Japan, including this past AJKS, I find myself torn between what I thought I knew and what I have been shown in Japan. A prime example is this year's GC. I don't think that fish would win an AKCA show here, all things being equal, due to her head pattern. There, it's most always about the quality of the fish (the whole package). Pattern is the last thing they consider. It seems that here, we're still learning how to read body conformation, tsuya and teri. The judging staff for the All Bay Area Show will make things very interesting. The head judge is the manager at Ogawa Koi Farm, another is a major dealer in Japan, Grant Fujita, Jim Reilly and Burt Ballou. A very prestigious group indeed. I can't wait to see how the fish get judged. In fact, I'm havin' one helluva time trying to figure out which fish to take based on the above. What a Decision!!
    Mike don't forget the one and only Bob Winkler, he is also one of the judges. I think that these are the best of the best in judges. No one can top there judging skills in the USA. I am looking forward to seeing which fish win at this show. Shouls be very interesting.

Thnx Nancy, I knew I liked you Now which fish is yours again??......... JK...

Should be a fun show from the judging side too.. Very much looking forward to the show, the judging group, and the people there.

As far as judging primarily on pattern in the US.. I don't think so..It is talked about alot in decisions, yes. The groups here are very much aware of and in tune with the concepts you talk about and more..I could post a number of GC and top winning koi of US shows that the pattern is not as perfect compared to others in the same shows. But the best koi is the best koi, and pattern is justone part of it. I am reminded of this graph, which is also studied, talked about, and used in judging and other koi circles...
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast