Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Maruyama Sisters

Maruyama Sisters

As I mentioned in another thread, in March 2005 I acquired a Maruyama-bred tosai Kohaku as part of a ZNA Southern Koi Association grow-out project. She has grown from about 10" to 22" over the course of the year.

A month ago, Kevin Pham (Genki Koi) supplied me with a nisai Maruyama Kohaku. She is 20".

There are extraordinary quality differences between the one sold off as tosai and the one kept a second year in the mud. I'll be growing these together. I think it will be interesting to see if the quality difference holds up in our warm climate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruyama Sisters-cfks-2006-025.jpg   Maruyama Sisters-maruyama-showa-kohaku-010.jpg   Maruyama Sisters-maruyama-showa-kohaku-006.jpg   Maruyama Sisters-maruyama-showa-kohaku-011.jpg  

Talking

Should be interesting to see what happens. Comparing the beni quality now and later should provide some insights, but the body mass on the new one is also pretty amazing. It will be interesting to see how well that maintains in her new environment as she continues to stretch.

Hi Mike,
    Very nice Maruyama Kohaku. I also really like Maruyama for kokaku's. The best are exceptional. Beautiful hi and shiro. Very bright impression. I can usually tell when I see a kohaku if it is Maruyama. SOmetimes get fooled by Sakai Hiroshima as several of their early parent koi were Maruyama but patterns preferred by them are usually somewhat different.

The Maruyama nisai I bought in January from Futoshi is arriving at the end of the month. Here is a photo.

Sansai
    Ray,
    I like the thick beni and shiroji alot. I wish that her beni could extend a little more to the tail tube that will make the pattern more balance. Anyway, you have a very good solid kohaku. Interesting to watch her develop in the next couple years. Keep us posted with her development.
    KN

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan
    Hi Mike,
    Very nice Maruyama Kohaku. I also really like Maruyama for kokaku's. The best are exceptional. Beautiful hi and shiro. Very bright impression. I can usually tell when I see a kohaku if it is Maruyama. SOmetimes get fooled by Sakai Hiroshima as several of their early parent koi were Maruyama but patterns preferred by them are usually somewhat different.

The Maruyama nisai I bought in January from Futoshi is arriving at the end of the month. Here is a photo.

I like Mike's latest edition because of the distinctive pattern as well as beni quality. I never did get any of their fish but was super impressed with the body shape and uniformity of their tosai when I visited there prior to their keito recongnition

Sounds like a great project.... waiting for project results next year...

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    As I mentioned in another thread, in March 2005 I acquired a Maruyama-bred tosai Kohaku as part of a ZNA Southern Koi Association grow-out project. She has grown from about 10" to 22" over the course of the year.

A month ago, Kevin Pham (Genki Koi) supplied me with a nisai Maruyama Kohaku. She is 20".

There are extraordinary quality differences between the one sold off as tosai and the one kept a second year in the mud. I'll be growing these together. I think it will be interesting to see if the quality difference holds up in our warm climate.

Fry

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan
    Hi Mike,

Very nice, just my taste, good luck with it

A classic, Ray. The white is so clean.

Dick: That ends my koi buying until October. There are 2 males that will need new homes in the Fall to make room for the ones in Jersey.

Bumping this up for Aquitori.

Tonio: How about your thoughts on the body types exemplified by the Maruyama Kohaku pictured above, including Ray's awesome little gal? I think a lot of us could use a lesson on that subject.