Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Bay Grand Champion

All Bay Grand Champion

I was so impressed with this kohaku, this fish had the body, the pattern and the quality. I think she could do extremely well in any Japan koi show. What is the most important thing I think, is first Duke bought this kohaku as a 2 year old. He has kept her in his 10,000 gallon pond for 9 years with 15 other koi. She has grown into this awesome speciment here in the USA, she was not just purchased and brought to the show, this man has raised her for 9 years. Now that is a very big accomplishment. to grow a 20" koi into this beautiful 36" Kohaku, and to have kept the quality. no scars, beautiful luster, spectacular body, beni and shiroji just beautiful. I think that Duke deserves more than just a Grand Champion trophy, he deserves all hobbiest respect and admiration. Duke I want to thank you for bringing this beautiful koi out for all of us to see and appriciate.

Tosai

Thumbs up

Hello,
    Couldn't have stated any better.
    When I saw Duke's 11 year old Kohaku, I told him
    that his Grand Champion trophy is in my hotel room
    with slight damage from transport from Japan.
    I did try crazy glue. LOL.

There were less koi at the All Bay Area Koi show
    than Orlando but I felt that the fish were better
    in quality. Well done Larry Gill!

Luyen

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    I was so impressed with this kohaku, this fish had the body, the pattern and the quality. I think she could do extremely well in any Japan koi show. What is the most important thing I think, is first Duke bought this kohaku as a 2 year old. He has kept her in his 10,000 gallon pond for 9 years with 15 other koi. She has grown into this awesome speciment here in the USA, she was not just purchased and brought to the show, this man has raised her for 9 years. Now that is a very big accomplishment. to grow a 20" koi into this beautiful 36" Kohaku, and to have kept the quality. no scars, beautiful luster, spectacular body, beni and shiroji just beautiful. I think that Duke deserves more than just a Grand Champion trophy, he deserves all hobbiest respect and admiration. Duke I want to thank you for bringing this beautiful koi out for all of us to see and appriciate.

I too was impressed with the GC. It was easily the best koi I have ever seen in person (I've never been to All Japan though). Even more impressive was the way that Duke handled himself at the show. He spent hours by his tank fielding questions from beginners to experts about his GC and his pond. A true gentleman and hobbyist.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Wow . . .

to have a GC like that, and it wasn't a shipper -- fantastic. The husbandry skills involved in bringing this koi to its present condition are just staggering. Thanks for sharing.

I think Nancy and Frank's faces said it all when they saw the fish being taken out of the live carrier. For all of us who have been competing the years Duke retired gave us all a humbling experience Saturday and was an honor to see a man bring something out so special to him for all of us to enjoy.

Not much more to be said about this kohaku - EXCEPT it validates a lot of hobbyist's feelings about what showing is all about - THIS FISH IS NOT A RINGER!! As stated earlier, it has been grown on in a CONCRETE pond for 9YEARS. This is what the hobby is all about folks. There are a lot of us out there who have 10,000 gal or larger ponds. We should ask Duke for his pond/fish management program details - if he would share it with us - but knowing Duke he would do that. I have known Duke for about 8 years and during that time he has always competed at the local shows and taught all of us. I don't remember him bringing in a ringer for any of those shows. They're always fish he grows and improves.The new NorCal ZNA club is very happy to have Duke as a founding member. Wow folks, talk about a club with the who's who!! We are truly blessed. DUKE, YOU ARE THE EPITOMY OF "KOI KICHI"!!

CONGRATS, AGAIN

Mike

Dukes fish was awesome, never seen any fish here in the USA, that could compete with it. Was very mpressed with the Kohaku, but honestly I was more impressed with Duke's Koi husbandry skills. Antonio you are right, when I seen that fish come out of the transport tank, and put into the show tank, I was in awe, to have seen this size kohaku here in the USA, and in the condition it was in. Speeks for itself. You expect to see this size and quality in Japan, but not here. I think we need to get Joe Co, back out of retirement, I have seen his fish, and he has a few that would render us all speechless also.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I think Nancy and Frank's faces said it all when they saw the fish being taken out of the live carrier. For all of us who have been competing the years Duke retired gave us all a humbling experience Saturday and was an honor to see a man bring something out so special to him for all of us to enjoy.

Jumbo
    nancy, duke and the gang of great koi, I suffered major jaw damages after watching your koi .

stan

Here, I got both your faces in this picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Bay Grand Champion-show-036.jpg  

Daihonmei
    Congratulations DUKE!
    I am trying to appreciate all the ways you have helped the hobby become Healthier and Better. It'll take awhile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast