Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Bay GC - Clarifications

Tosai

All Bay GC - Clarifications

I'd like to take an opportunity to clarify the history of my 90cm Dainichi Kohaku a little bit since a lot of Koi friends had asked me.
    Further more it'll be embarrassed for me to take all of the credits to bring up such a beauty

1) I bought this Danichi Kohaku as a Nisai back in 1997 when she was 62cm.
    2) Kevin of Genki Koi introduced me to this Koi. At the time, it belonged to Kodama-san of Myioshiike Co. in Nagoya Japan.
    3) Although, I was fortunate enough to buy and raise a few GCs in the later years that lot of friends know about, I always associate this Kohaku as my most favorite and accomplised Koi-search, second to my Showa which has a dear sentimental (rather than technical as for the Kohaku) value in the memories of my lated Mother.
    4) Realizing that she has a great bone structure and quality to become a JUMBO and perhaps this is the ONLY chance in my Koi career to ever lay hand on such a specimen, I took a chance to keep her in one of Kodama-san's concrete mud pond at Nagoya for almost 5 years. One should know that Koi growth rate is very critical in first 5 years of their life. Any disruptions because of environment changes, deseases, even the stress of Koi show could stunt its growth. For that reason and I and Kodama-san are good friends; Therefore, I made such an arrangement to have her stay in Japan.
    5) In January 2002, Kodama-san advised me that her growth had reached its peak. She was 81cm. Therefore, I decided to take her home to finish and polish her up.
    6) Before sending her to me, although her finish was not prime, Kodama-san and me did try to enter her into All Japan Shinkokai Show, Jan. 2002 in Tokyo to compete with all of the top-guns in the world to see how she is matching up with them. Because she was just a hair pass 80cm, we had to enter her in as Kohaku class of 85BU. At that jumbo size in Kohaku class, she was swimming in the same tank with some of the famous past All Japan Champions that we all might have seen in Nichirin or Rinko magazines. It was an honor to her and even more when she took home a second place in Kohaku Class 85BU against 45 other jumbo Kohaku. That year a world-record and only 101cm Sanke won the Grand Champion (remember?!)
    7) I've had her finish in my 10k-gal-pond since Feb. 2002. Up till now, she surprisingly has grown 9cm more in a little more than 4 years. Her body conformation, skin quality, and colors are all improved to the finish. In fact, all my closed friends, who happened to see her when she first came in, think that she looks much more beautiful with outstanding body shape now.
    I did give local Koi friends here a glimse of her when I exhibited (but not competed) her in Champion-Koi Annual Koi Show in San Jose, along with my beloved Showa in 2003.

8) Per request, I promised to write an article for KoiUSA in the upcoming issue about the history, tategoi characteristics, development stages, diet and water regiments that I experienced and employed for this Kohaku and my other Koi in my pond. Therefore, I would ask to withhold it from this forums, for now, if you don't mind.

9) Last but not least, I'd like to clarify that although I have her for 9 years, half of those year credits must also go to Kodama-san of Myioshiike in Japan. Without their care in the earlier years of her life, she absolutely could not be as big and as beautiful as she is right now. Of course, other credit must go to the "match-maker" Genki Koi's Kevin as well.

I hope you enjoy and find my information useful

Duke

Great post, and a great koi.. I look forward to your article!

Fantastic Story Duke! Thank you for clearing it up. I will look forward very much to your article.

I was at that very All Japan Show in 2002 and remembered this kohaku and the vat of competitors she was swimming with. You and I were introduced at your koi's tank side, although I am not sure you will remember, as it was very much in passing. I shared that story with several this past weekend at the show, but was assured by several learned people that the kohaku in Pleasanton could not have possibly been the same one I remembered.

Your facts seem just as I also remember them, even down to her looking even better this past weekend than that day in 2002, compared inch for inch. She looked great then, but All-Wordly this time. Credits to your koi keeping skills and to Kodama-san's both. Congratulations. I was honored to have the opportunity to be a judge for her this time.
    Last edited by Bob Winkler; 04-04-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Duke

Nice follow-up info/story about the growing -on of your kohaku. It makes all the sense in the world that she followed this direction, although the other story would have made for better history (LOL) it is great to hear from you about her story. I look forward to your article in Koi USA about your philosophies with regards to feeding and pond maintenance. Should be one of the better articles in that mag for a long time.

Regards

Mike

Nisai
    Duke,

I love to look at your koi. She is a WOW! Would you please post your other koi and pond? Thanks

John

Hi Duke
    I am sorry, for the wrong information I posted. I guess I misunderstood you at the show. But that still does not change anything about your koi keeping skills and ability. I am still impressed with you and your koi.

Jumbo
    Great story and way to go in bringing out the full potential of this magnificant koi. You have a done a wonderful job with her and should be very proud. Again, congratulations on winning Grand Champion.

Tosai
    Hi Nancy,

Nothing at all. I figured I should mention people and situations involved in bringing up this baby.

Cheers,

Duke

Duke,

I would like to thank you for shareing your living jewel with us in the koi community. Those of us that were lucky to be there in person to see this great Kohaku had a weekend of koi appreciation. What caught my eyes was the grace and elegant form as she circled the show tank and would sometimes stop and look up to you. Thanks again,
    Louie

Tosai
    Pleasure is mine also Louie and I'm very moved that people appreciate her grace a lot. She is very very tamed and attracted to people.

Duke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast