Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus 3000/"The Answer" Opinions

Welcome fellow Texan. I have the Nexus and it's true w/ what you've read. It works well and w/ the Answer the maintenance is very little. All you have to do is open the drain valve in the interior chamber evry 2-3 days. It holds 7 cubic ft of K1 which means that the biological filtration will be able to handle much more than what you had planned. I have 2 Nexus and have first hand knowledge on this.

Tosai
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys!

This helps me a LOT.

I think I'm still leaning towards the Nexus 3000 so I can have a graivity fed Answer-driven filtration solution. I know the cost is quite a bit more than say a Vortex setup, but I think overall for the compactness of it and the ability of it to handle a bioload that it will be worth it in the long run (at least that's my hope!).

So if I understood all of the comments correctly, the Nexus 3000 system (not the Easy) will filtrate fine particulate without having to add additional filtration?

That's basically my goal. I have a limited amount of space for the filtration so would like to make the best use of it possible (ie: put as powerful a filter into a small space as possible). And I'm hoping that's what the Nexus is.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies, all!

For compact space, Nexus is excellent choice. With it, you need either the Answer or the EAzy for mechanical. (The sponge that comes with it is simply not acceptable.)

Tosai
    Just a few points of clarification...

Nexus units are available in two sizes (200 or 300 body), and two configurations (Eazy or Answer).

The Eazy configured units are designed to be used in either pump or gravity fed applications. The Answer configured units are gravity only.

In either configuration, these units are no longer supplied with or require the old foam blocks. They come with either the Eazy or the Answer in the central vortex. With the Answer version, the exit path foam has been replaced with a static K1 stack and flow baffles, which is cleaned via air diverted from the fluidized bio-area (the same principle as the Eazy).

In my experience, both version provide exceptional results when properly configured, all in a very small space when compared to traditional open bay systems.

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Personally I would go with the Easy set-up as the Answer sucks too much wattage. I feel the easy is just as good as taking out the fines are the anwser but with no power drain.

B.Scott

Sansai
    But for an in-ground application some means of draining the central chamber needs to be addressed. If your filter area is higher than other parts of the ward a simple drain line can be used. If not a sump of some sort will be necessary. A 55 gal drum with a sump pump might work. You can also obtain large diameter PVC for the same purposeand bury it close to the Nexus with the bottom well below the bottom of the Nexus. If you have good drainage the waste water will probably drain out of the bottom of the PVC pipe. If not you will need to cap the pipe and pump it out after draining the Nexus central chamber.

Dwight

PS BTW Scrub , Bill D. ( see post above B.Scott ) is the west coast distributor for Nexus and a hell of a guy to work with.

I now have experience with both the Answer and EAzy. My new pond has both, 2 Nexus with EAzy and a set of vortexes with the first fitted with an Answer (the later is the filtration from my old pond that I re-used). I see both have their advantages and disadvantages. The Answer can be left alone for a week should you have to go out of town (from my own experience). On the downside, it does allow very fine particles to flow through. In my case, I do have a bead filter in use for removing these fines, so that was never a problem. The EAzy seems to catch those very fine particles, but I have not tried to leave the EAzy alone for more than a 2 days without cleaning (maybe someone else can chime in on length of time between cleanings). Since some of the waste is trapped in the Kaldnes versus settling to the bottom of the chamber, I prefer to clean my EAzy's daily. My daily routine only takes 5 minutes, but I have the advantage of a 4" waste line that allows both of my Nexus inner chambers to be drained simultaneously and quickly. I boil, then flush, then boil again and flush which takes about 250 gallons of water daily (125 gallons per Nexus). My auto-fill tops off the pond, so that process provides a small 2% water change each day.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Sansai
    Henry , is your Answer/vortex connected to a Nexus ? Bill D. says that placing some sort of solids seperator BEFORE the Eazy will extend the clean time. I'm gonna use EA pond seivs.

Tosai
    Henry,

I've seen some of your constructions post. Excellent job!

The Answer can be left alone for a week should you have to go out of town (from my own experience). On the downside, it does allow very fine particles to flow through.
    I'm curious... You mentioned "fines" getting past the Asnwer. The original Nexus/Answer combination used a foam exit pad to capture any of these fines. EA subsequently developed a static K1 modification to replace the pad and to improve the performance. And more recently, EA has come out with an improved water flow baffle to force water through the entire K1 stack, along with an air diverter for ease of cleaning. Which version were you using?

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Tosai
    Again, thanks everyone for the insightful and thoughful replies! This discussion is exactly what I was hoping for.

The version that BillD is speaking of with the static K1 bed for fines removal, is the version I'd read about on EA's site (the Nexus 3000) and is the one I am most interested in.

I will certainly look BillD up when I am ready to purchase. I'd much rather work with a forum member.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast