Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nexus 3000/"The Answer" Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Henry,

I've seen some of your constructions post. Excellent job!

I'm curious... You mentioned "fines" getting past the Asnwer. The original Nexus/Answer combination used a foam exit pad to capture any of these fines. EA subsequently developed a static K1 modification to replace the pad and to improve the performance. And more recently, EA has come out with an improved water flow baffle to force water through the entire K1 stack, along with an air diverter for ease of cleaning. Which version were you using?

Kind Regards,
    Bill
    My old pond did not have a Nexus. It had a vortex with an Answer followed by another vortex with fluid Kaldnes. Before switching to Kaldnes, the second vortex had Matala. The second vortex bottom and Matala would get dusting of fine particles and the bead filter would catch a lot as well. I still have those vortexes in use on the new pond, plus I added 2 Nexus. They were originally going to have Answers so I ordered the static K1 outlet mod, but Carl talked me into the EAzy (hard to argue with a dealer trying to sell you $2000 less). I kept the outlets so now I have both the static outlet and EAzy. The outlet mod is very easy to clean. I boil it prior to the EAzy with the outlet to waste valve opened. I have yet to see any build up on the outlet K1 probably due to most of it being caught by the EAzy.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jdfloyd45
    Henry , is your Answer/vortex connected to a Nexus ? Bill D. says that placing some sort of solids seperator BEFORE the Eazy will extend the clean time. I'm gonna use EA pond seivs.
    No the vortex and Answer are a separate filter system. You may want to check with EA or Bill at Mystic, but I do not think a EA pond sieve will work in front of a gravity fed Nexus. A pond sieve has a small outlet which would not allow for gravity flow to a Nexus. It was my impression that the pond sieve is geared more towards skimmer lines or a bottom drain line followed immediately by a pump.

Sansai
    Thats what I want to do. Have the BD drain into the Seiv then pump then above ground Nexus Eazy. The idea is to take some of the stress off of the Eazy. You are right about it only working wioth a pump just after the seiv. I've talked to Mike at EA and he says that is how they were designed , basically an Answer as a prefilter.

Dwight

PS Scrub , sorry for hijacking your thread. Hopefully some of this foolishness will help. The best advice is to call Bill and discuss it with him. No I don't get a comission but it might help next time we go out to dinner.

Tosai
    No apologies necessary!

All this is great information that will be useful to everyone.

I've not had the concern Henry has of leaving the EAzy for a week or longer without cleaning. I typically go through the cleaning cycle on it only once per week. I have gone as long as 9 days without any problem. However, I have a 4.5' diameter vortex settlement chamber prior to the Nexus/EAzy. The vortex catches any leaves and the worst of the gunk. (Settlement in the vortex is dumped daily.) Without the vortex, the volume of waste and debris would be a lot for the EAzy to handle. I do not think it would be blocked during a normal week, but I think the kaldnes would be getting well loaded.

Henry: You'll need to let it go for a week/10 days to see what happens... before you get a project that takes you out of town. As unsightly as that would be, I'm guessing the decline in water quality would be barely perceptible in your system because DO is so high.

Tosai
    I am for sure planning on an Answer whether or not I end up with a full Nexus or Easy system or not (though I will likely end up with the full monty Nexus 3000).

The Answer just seems to have so many positives it's hard me to pass it up!

Sansai
    Scrub , when you install the nexus will it be possible to leave room for a vortex chamber ? If you can and are able to install it later it will take a lot of stress off of the Answer or Eazy , whichever you choose. Also ask Bill about the EA Pond Seiv. He just installed one in a new pond. They are supposed to act like a vortex chamber but with a much smaller foot print.

Dwight

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123