Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus 3000/"The Answer" Opinions

Tosai

Smile Nexus 3000/"The Answer" Opinions

Hello all.

I'm a long-time lurker that finally signed up to post!

A little background...

I have a strong background in marine aquariums (although currently I only have two). Primarily reefs with a mixture of Soft/SPS/LPS corals, inverts, fish, etc.

So far this knowledge has proven helpful in planning out my pond filtration system as I fully understand the chemistry of aquatic husbandry and the direct correlation between water quality and fish health (obvious you'd think, but some folks seem to miss it! ).

Pond plans!

I currently do not own a pond but am in the process of building one (approx 4000-4500g). It will be somewhat triangular with a rounded side. The dimensions are looking like 15'x14'x22' with an average depth of about 5' (deeper for the 4" bottom drain I plan on putting in). I plan on doing near vertical walls with no "shelving" for plants. If I decide to add plants it will be an a trough outside the pond plumbed into the system for additional filtration. Big fish can be like pigs rooting around in things. I don't want to be chest deep in my pond picking up plants on a daily basis. The pond will be about half below ground level and about half above ground level.

This is for a number of reasons: I live in rural Texas Hill Country and short of dynamite, it can be pretty hard tod ig around here. There's a lot of "critters", having a bit of a wall (with a net) will prevent a lot of unwanteds. And lastly, I like having someplace to sit and enjoy the pond. Bring the water level up closer so it's easier to appreciate. Personal preferences I guess.

It is in an area that is shaded by two large oak trees, but indirectly. In otherwords, they are under the boughs of the trees, but about 30' away from the trunks. So I'd say the pond would get speckled sunlight most of the day, direct sunlight at sunrise/sunset.

I'm very interested in the Nexus 3000 system. It's almost one of those "too good to be true" things, but I've read SO MUCH good stuff about it, it's hard for me not to believe it. What I'd like to do is run the pond on a single Nexus 3000 and waterfall it back in. I'd also be running a surface skimmer that would feed a UV Sterlizer that would also waterfall back in.

My concern is the Nexus 3000. If I'm going to depend on it THAT MUCH, I need to be certain it will work. Now I'm not doubting anything I've read, but I haven't actually had the chance to speak with anyone that's actually using one and hear their pros and cons (other than price). One of the things that really attracted me to it was the small footprint (for it's capability).

I had considered just buying "The Answer" and doing a Vortex setup to a seperate bio-filter, but in the end that seems like it will cost me as much as a Nexus 3000? And potentially not be any better?

In the marine aquarium world, overstocking is a bad thing and is strictly avoided (at least by me it was ). So I do not plan on going berzerk and overstocking this pond. I actually like to take my time and acquire things slowly.

So after this really long first post (sorry!) and introduction of sorts, I'm basically looking for opinions on running at 4500ish gallon fish-only (other than Koi I may get a few small maintenance fish and/or some snails) pond with a single Nexus 3000 and surface skimmer-fed UV Sterlizer.

And and ALL opinions would be welcome!

Thanks.

many times bottom drains are spaced 10 feet a part and the lines are then used
    to feed the individual filters. Is it your intent to somehow manifold all four into one filter? I know you'll get a strong negative reaction from this crowd!

My rule of thumb for pond building has always beeen to double the depth to achieve the width and double the width to achieve the length. I would think especially with the heat in texas that you might want a little more depth than what you have planned dispite the shade. ( 7X14X28 )

I think the filter you plan to use is a good one, and depending on how understocked you are you may want to consider putting a line
    in place that you would have access to in case you wanted to later add another
    filter as the need or finances change....

well hopefully we have opened a few channels for comments from the crowd. I would look into Henry culpepers pond building thread and gleen as much as I could, for his was state of the art!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    many times bottom drains are spaced 10 feet a part and the lines are then used
    to feed the individual filters. Is it your intent to somehow manifold all four into one filter? I know you'll get a strong negative reaction from this crowd!
    I'm not sure what you mean? Possibly I mis-typed something in my original post (highly likely! ) but I planned on using a single 4" drain.

My rule of thumb for pond building has always beeen to double the depth to achieve the width and double the width to achieve the length. I would think especially with the heat in texas that you might want a little more depth than what you have planned dispite the shade. ( 7X14X28 )
    Interesting rule of thumb! Any particular reason for it? I'm very curious of that methodology. Essentially I'm making the pond as large as I can in the space it needs to fit. Unfortunately it's kind of an odd triangular shape, but still a decent size nontheless. Although I do live in Texas I live on top of a large hill at the end of a valley/lake that is incredibly windy almost every day (which I really enjoy). I don't think the heat will be too bad honestly. Just a personal perception from living here.

I think the filter you plan to use is a good one, and depending on how understocked you are you may want to consider putting a line
    in place that you would have access to in case you wanted to later add another
    filter as the need or finances change....
    I'd prefer to keep it down to a single filter, but I do agree with the logic and had planned on that. I'm not much for overstocking and self-control when it comes to purchasing livestock is no problem.

well hopefully we have opened a few channels for comments from the crowd. I would look into Henry culpepers pond building thread and gleen as much as I could, for his was state of the art!
    I will search for Mr. Culpeppers thread right now.

Thanks!

Scrub:

I understand you are planning a triangular shape, but not sure why. Circular, oval or rectangular with rounded corners gives maximum gallonage for the space taken.

Given the current dimensions for a triangle, you could get by with one bottom drain, but if you take advantage of Dick's suggestion, you will do best with two or more. My preference is that each input to the filtration be a stand alone circuit so if anything goes wrong, another filter circuit can still be operating. ...Also saves a lot of headaches in sizing lines, pumps, etc.

If you decide to go forward as planned, put in the plumbing for a mid-level drain or a second bottom drain. Then in fure you can add another filter circuit without breaking through the pond shell.

You will wish you built a larger pond, so go as big as space and budget allow.

I've seen Dick's approach to dimensions before & it makes sense. I get to a similar point by a different route (following an idea a Japanese hobbyist expressed decades ago). How long do you want your koi to be? ....Depth should be no less than twice the desired length of the fish and no more than 3 times. So, if 24" koi are your goal: 4'-6' in depth. If you want 36" koi, then 6'-9' should be your depth. Length should be 10 times desired length of fish to give swimming/exercise room, and width should be 4 or 5 times length to give easy turning radius when a koi decides to dart swiftly across the pond. Obviously, we cannot always have what we'd like to have...but the closer to an ideal one can get, the more likely you can reach your goal. (Gets much easier if you'll be satisfied with 18" koi!!!)

Use the search mode on this board. Lots of good info posted over the past few years.

Tosai
    Ah, than you very much that makes perfect sense!

I'm only going with the "rounded triangle" shape as it's dictated by the area I'm putting the pond in. It is going in an L-shaped corner where my garage meets my house (that's the straight portions of the triangle) and the rest is following the sidewalk that goes from my driveway to my front porch (which is basically a long arcing 23' quarter of a circle). It's not perfectly triangular by any stretch, but I am using up all available space.

I would honestly be content with just a handful of Koi, I don't really have a need to own 15 or 20. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not something I feel I need.

I am going to go as deep as I can, 6' is definately a possibility. I won't know until I actually finish the excavating. I had started a few weeks ago but an unforseen medical issue put me in the ER a few time last week and later in a Neurologist's office with a 4" needle in the back of my head! So, yes I'm still recovering.

I could do two drains, that wouldn't be much more work or cost really and I do appreciate fault-tolerance (it's in my blood as a 15+ year IT professional ). I like the idea of the mid-drain as well. Keep in mind too, this will be a liner pond. So worst case scenario I can always drain the pond and repair plumbing (not that I'd want to).

Thanks again for all the input.

As an aside, I have been searching the forum and reading as much as possible about other's experiences. There just wasn't much information on personal experiences with the Nexus units.

Thanks!

Sansai
    I have a Nexus 300 ( with the Eazy ) and I love it. It is currently handeling the majority of filtration on my 8,000 gal pond. I have two BDs but they are on individual lines and run into a solid seperator before the Nexus. When money allows I'll seperate the BD lines and add another Nexus 300. Are you aware of EAs recomendations reguarding the Nexus ? The 300 with Eazy is for above ground pump fed applications and the 3000 is for pond level gravity fed instillations. The 300 is MUCH easier to clean but must be cleaned MUCH more often than the 3000 with the Answer.

lots of good input here...thanks eveyone....reason why i like this place!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfloyd45
    I have a Nexus 300 ( with the Eazy ) and I love it. It is currently handeling the majority of filtration on my 8,000 gal pond. I have two BDs but they are on individual lines and run into a solid seperator before the Nexus. When money allows I'll seperate the BD lines and add another Nexus 300. Are you aware of EAs recomendations reguarding the Nexus ? The 300 with Eazy is for above ground pump fed applications and the 3000 is for pond level gravity fed instillations. The 300 is MUCH easier to clean but must be cleaned MUCH more often than the 3000 with the Answer.
    Yes I am aware of that. Part of my pond will be 2-3' above ground to help facility gravity feeding the Nexus 3000.

Do you have any direct experience with The Answer? How do you like your Eazy from a water quality standpoint? I'm very interested in the biological capabilities of the Nexus system.

Thank you again for the reply!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by scrub
    Yes I am aware of that. Part of my pond will be 2-3' above ground to help facility gravity feeding the Nexus 3000.

Do you have any direct experience with The Answer? How do you like your Eazy from a water quality standpoint? I'm very interested in the biological capabilities of the Nexus system.

Thank you again for the reply!
    My water quality and clarity are great. No ammonia , nitrite ,nitrate and TDS below 200 consistantly. The clarity is great also. I used the Answer for about a year and water quality was great but clarity was not so good. EA told me it was because mine is pump fed. Never could grasp the logic but the Eazy did the trick. I actuallt think the real solution would be a vortex chamber with an Answer in it feeding an Eazy / Nexus. Thats why I'm saving my Answer.

Scrub: I've not had an Answer, but I've seen the results on the pond of a friend. Superb water. Folks with the Nexus/Answer combo complain about their water not being as crystal clear as they'd like unless they also have a bead filter (or similar) to capture the really fine particles that get through the Answer. I do use the Nexus/EAzy combo and am very pleased with it. It may take a bit more work each week compared to the Answer for maintenance, but not so much as to be a hassle (at least IMO). With the EAzy fine particles are captured without needing a supplemental filter stage. The initial cost for the EAzy is less and operational cost is nearly nothing, while the operational cost for the Answer is significant. EAzy is messier and more gunk remains in contact with water longer because it is too time-consuming to put the EAzy on a "clean cycle" every day. With the Answer, dumping settlement daily eliminates much more gunk from the system. Still, I get such good water quality overall that I can tolerate this shortcoming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast