Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help me ID my koi's color

Fry

please help me ID my koi's color

can someone help me figure out what to call this koi's color? this is a horrible picture, but you can see his coloration. he is about 12" long and has no scales. i've already had someone call him Shiro Utsuri, but he is NOT black and white. he is definately blue/gray. i HAVE a shiro Utsuri butterfly koi and the coloring is much different. thank you

Kumonryu...

Welcome to the board.

--Dinh

Honmei

Yes!?

I agree with Dinh, it is Kumonryu. Welcome to the board.

Russell

Daihonmei
    I'll go bekko

Fry
    but he's not black? he's a very lovely blue-gray, both the dark and light areas are blue-gray, not white or black. is it just because he is immature? because the Shiro Utsuri butterfly i have is DEFINATELY black and white, even though he's smaller than this guy. i just can't buy that he's one of these black and white colorations because he's not black, or white.

anyway, how much do you think he is worth as an adult? i would never sell him, he's my favorite fish, but i'm just curious.

How bout' "watcha macallit" kinda weird looking, but I would say closer to Bekko....Welcome to the board..

Daihonmei
    the reason we are not on the same wavelength is because you don't know that "blue" is black underneath thin white.

Honmei

No $ Value

I would say that there is no real value to that Koi, as it is a mutt. The real value is how you feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters
    I would say that there is no real value to that Koi, as it is a mutt. The real value is how you feel about it.
    Akinosan has alot of pond mutts, no real value...but one in his pond, a huge shiro muji that was once 4 figures and is now no figures...

Fry
    we nicknamed him "Big Blue" i like him because i bought him for $5 at the local fish store when he was 5" long and in 3 years he's doubled in size. all my fish are mutts, lol. i just get ones i think are pretty.

i have 6 koi, and 2 goldfish in my pond, but they're outgrowing it. we just had to go out and get an emergency pond because spring is coming and they're huge, and now that its warm and they're eating again, they're going to start growing. so we got a like 6 foot diameter, 3 foot deep rubbermaid water trough to put 4 of the fish in, and left the other 4 in the original pond, which is about the same size.

my parents are going to be moving to a new 5 acre property they bought and they're going to build a huge pond up there for the fishes.

i've also got a weird peachy colored butterfly koi, Orenji Ogon, a platinum, a Shiro Utsuri butterfly, and one i'm still not 100% on either. someone else called it a Doitsu Ki Utsuri, but i'm not sure on the Utsuri, but i can't find anything better. i wonder if maybe he could be a Midorigoi?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../goldkoi-2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast