Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the proper etiquette???

What is the proper etiquette???

What is the proper etiquette for taking pictures off the web from websites or others photographs to use them for your own?

I see Steve Gibbins has the right Idea as well as Martin for water marking their work.

Just because its on the web is it a free for all? or should we give a "small" mention of who's it is?

Wink

Keokoļ,
    giving a mention of your source would be a good idea, but sometimes is difficult to remember where you get the information.
    The net is so vaste and you take so many things that ,sometimes, you don't remember where you found what you stocked on the hard disk.
    I try to mention the book where I found the information, for picture it's not so easy but I think we should take care about the right of property of all media we share.
    If we speak about knowledge we often share, I won't be abble to tell who of the mentor of this forum tought me what I'm speaking about ... thanks to them anyway.

I read on a tread that Mike answer to Akinosan that respond to Dick about a question of Keokoi on which Koifishgirl wasn't agree about a problem happened to Scott and Aquitori thougt .... sorry, I forgot the subjet

Marco

I think that if a picture is "reused" or even reposted, it is always proper to give credit to the picture taker, and the fish too.

Good points.. always ask for permission from the picture taker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    I think that if a picture is "reused" or even reposted, it is always proper to give credit to the picture taker, and the fish too
    Bingo! I totally agree with that. I also think when you cut and paste info you should leave a link to the original site.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    Bingo! I totally agree with that. I also think when you cut and paste info you should leave a link to the original site.
    And I totally agree with you both. Without expressing were the article or photo came from, you are disrespecting, the person who spent the time to write the article or take the photo. That is just not right

Generally speaking, I try to link to pictures that are not mine, instead of copying and attaching. This way the picture is still in the posession and control of the original source. Also The source is freely availlable when you look at the reply.

Would that be considered proper etiquette?

-Dan

You're supposed to get permission before using someone else's photos. Hard to enforce it though.

-stevehopkins

Yep....but when I post a photo I know it could show up any place. I would not post anything I'd be upset to see "borrowed". That's the nature of the internet.

.... A couple of weeks ago I saw a photo I posted here nearly two years ago pop up on another board. It was a bit of an annoyance, but I was happy to see it. I had been deleted the photo from the old thread to make room for a more recent post. I had not saved it. Now I have it again.

I think its more a case of 'lore' rather than 'law'. Where does 'Public Domain' begin and end?

Personally if I see anything that I would like for anything other than personal use I contact the person concerned explain why I want it and ask their permission.

I have never been refused yet. Occasionally I have been asked to publish their name or website in an acknowledgement, and on other occassions I have been given additional info or higher quality pics.

The only exceptions from this is when propogating information from one forum to another. I copy the link and post it on the other forum with a comment e.g. Have you seen this? etc.

rgds
    South East Koi Club

I think we need to give props to where props are due. First off any person or monkey can take a pic, in general it is the person that makes a pic great. When people take that so called "money shot" they should be given credit plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast