Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Koi vs Japanese Koi

Daihonmei
    Dick,
    Exactly, that's why i am trying to raise Koi the best I can, but with nasty ol domestic koi.
    All the big time players in the koi Shows build an expensive pond and then thye travel under the wing of a koi dealer to japan and pick out the best koi they can afford, and drop them in their ponds. Not giving the Domestic breeders the time of day.
    Many believe I am wrong in having some beleif/faith/pride in the Domestic breeders' ability to produce and recognize champion caliber koi...i think thye do and can.
    However I must buy their tosai as I do not have the funds to buy their top two-five year olds.
    And I really get a kick out of raising koi.

In the end, it will only take one pair of excellent parents...one dedicated breeder with excellent skills..and one amazing domestic koi to turn the whole thought process around. If americans see a grand champion on par with a past (or current) all japan grand champion...then we will all be believers. Show us a domestic showa like the past Dainichi grand champion(my favorite koi ever)..and we will swarm that breeder like flies to honey(or something else)!! I think it is going to happen (..and i hope I own her..lol!!)

Daihonmei
    Ahhh Brut?
    you forgot Luck luck luck and more luck

Luke I wish you luck in growing out those domestics. I know the breeders cant afford to spend time growing fish out and watching them improve.

I was told that one Japanese breeder had put his son in business in California to breed domestics here with top broodstock. I do not remember the gentlemans name. Hopefully one you will. I think Luke had a valid point about the top Japanese breeders setting up farms here but i think with a slightly different spin. I think they will do this for any of their progeny who wish to be set up here in the states. I would think that it would also motivate the domestic breeders.

carefully consider, if you will; that the showa daiinichi bred that you loved has not been seen again in any other brothers and sisters since....and i'll bet they still breed the same parents. Any volumn of high quality koi is a numbers game
    because the % of very high class koi is minimal. The more pairs of quality koi you breed, the luckier you get. The average american breeders is very lfortunate to have a handful of high class breeders...so what I'm trying to say is they do a bang up job at a huge disadvantage. Because they have to eat, they sell all of their
    class of koi; just as the japanese farmers. But if you were to visit their farms and look at their high class koi, you might be very surprised. I know i was when I visited Quality koi last fall for their draining. In fact I ended up with a kohaku and sanke that go into the mud ponds this May That will be very competitive
    when they come out this fall....at about 20 inches. This puts them in the same size class as the last "iggy showa" I bought in Japan. (igarashi Kazuto). Don't take anyone's word for something, go and see for yourself and decide. I really think you owe it to yourself and your knowledge to visit your local breeder. So far the contingent from washington state has doubled from last year planning a fall visit for 2006....

We had a local Japanese breeder here in NorCal, he was breeding some of the best Aka Matsubas and Asagis outside of Japan...Probably, if he were around still I would by a big Asagi from him...Dont think anyone could tell the difference.

Talking

I dont know why anyone cares that they do not cull stringently in the USA. As long as they separate them in to classes based on quality..then who cares. Ignore the tateshita and look at the top class they are producing. Leave the ugly ones for the beginners..and those who don't care to compete.

I realize the odds game and the luck involved in getting a grand champion of top quality. I also believe that by the law of averages..it will happen eventually. I hope we will all be able to drop our bias and recognize greatness when it comes from an unlikely place!! ...and once again...I hope everyone here passes on her because she is domestic..and I own her..lol!!!

..as an aside..has anyone here see the guy selling koi on ebay known as fishmaker. I read his story..he is in Ca. and has been breeding for years. Wont release the name of his farm. I gotta admit, some of his kohaku and sanke were pretty damn nice. I haven't bought any, due to the high shipping costs..but I am very impressed with his ability. Does anyone in Ca. know anything about this breeder? Just curious.

Could it be?? Naw, i doubt it!! Okay.....wait for it....could it be BARSTOW KOI FARM??? Maybe!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast