Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are all koi sales final?

Returning a koi?

How many dealers do you actually know that will take back a koi once it goes into someone else's pond? Are they aware of contamination?

not saying you are pulling my legs but this is hard to believe. although I must admit that this is the kind of dealer we should all do business with. heck, I wouldn't mind supporting this dealer 100%. I am not looking for easy way of returning my fish just because I change my mind a few days later but if there is something wrong with it in a ** legit ** mean. I think there should be an option of return for full refund or exchange. When I first start out, I paid $xxx for a fish, it died 5 days later. the other 4 fish were fine. I bought all 5 together from this dealer. from the beginning, this fish didn't swim around at all after I let it out of the bag. anyhow, I didn't feel like calling the dealer and complain about it but I do believe the fish was already sick at the dealer's holding pond. I was a beginner then. I didn't read KB then either.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I come up with alot of threads, but this had to be the worst...honestly, I heard of a person returning a koi and got their money back...

I guess it all depends on what the dealer does with the "returned" fish. If I found out one of the local dealers took fish back (for whatever reason) and the dealer replaced the fish back in his general population, I would stop buying from that dealer. What with everything else going on, I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Now, having said that, I seriously doubt any of our local dealers would take a fish back "just because the customer didn't want it anymore". Nancy, you're absolutely correct. Once purchased and removed from the dealer's premises, it's yours unless you sell it to some one else. Oh and by the way, be careful about selling it for a profit as you may be accused of being a "professional"!!LOL. I would also trust that any of our local dealers who did accept a returned fish would isolate it from their main stocks to make sure it was safe. I know them all too well to think they would do anything else!! They're all too trustworthy!

Tony . . .

I think that all depends.

Low $ pond fish -- who cares.

High $ koi bought from photo, shipped to a show and arrives deformed -- big problem.

You gotta consider the buyer, the seller, the koi and the circumstances; no simple "one size fits all" answer for this beaut, bubba!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Just wondering if a person buys a koi from a dealer, is that dealer obiligated to return the customers money, if the customer no longer wants the koi?
    Now is the koi STILL at the dealer's in a big ol fancy mudpond? If so then the dealer might be willing to buy it or swap something for it.
    But otherwise..you are kidding?

Nisai
    If the koi leaves the dealer's possession - it should not be returned. If it is brought to a show and does not match description - then there is room for negotiation. Tain't no way I would buy a koi from a dealer with a revolving door.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    Now is the koi STILL at the dealer's in a big ol fancy mudpond? If so then the dealer might be willing to buy it or swap something for it.
    But otherwise..you are kidding?
    No mudpond, dealer just didnt want to hear customer complain...

Daihonmei
    DANG,,,how much longer do you think he can be a dealer...not being able to hear a puss complain? he can't last.

Tosai

Nancy M. & Tonio....

Ok....so what if the customer has a unisex pond...(ie: females)
    Now he goes to a Koi dealer because he wants to purchase another female to add to his pond.
    Dealer shows him beautiful "female" koi. Assures the customer that it is, indeed, a female.
    Customer pays the "female" price for the fish (more expensive).
    Two months later, customer discovers that the fish is a male.
    Does the customer have the right to return that fish????

I think that an honorable dealer would take a fish back under those circumstances and that it would be a justifiable situation to do so.

Bob

There is no justifiable situation, PERIOD!! Luke is right. Just think, he didn't want to hear THAT customer complain - what happens when the next buyer goes home with it and it wipes out his whole pond. What kinda complaint do you think he'd be in for then?????

If you are concerned about buying a female only, then learn how to sex the fish yourself. Don't rely on anyone else's judegement if it's that important to you. Also, don't forget, some females have been known to change into males! Remember Jurassic Park??LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast