Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Are all koi sales final?

  1. #21
    Nisai xiaohuang7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    140
    I have a story to share.

    Once upon a time in Niigata, a friend buys a chagoi. This friend pays Marusei (the one next to the river, in Uragawa/Koi Ginza by Juroski) US$1000 clams. Upon inspection of the digital pics later that evening, it looks terrible. Missing scales, post-anchor worm, hi, fin damage, just bad. Contacts Marusei next day. Poor friend eventually claws back only US$500 -- and little Mr. Chagoi never had to leave Marusei's concrete ponds. A few weeks later, Mystic Koi here in the LA area, sells the same Mr. Chagoi for $1200 (http://www.mystickoi.com/buyKoi.php?id=36).

    Cha-ching! for Marusei.

  2. #22
    Jumbo Steve Nguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    994
    that's incredible!!! what a rip off!!!

    lucky for mystickoi that they found a buyer. imo, from the picture, that fish doesn't look good. it looks skinny for 26". I am sure it can be fat up with proper diet.

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaohuang7
    I have a story to share.

    Once upon a time in Niigata, a friend buys a chagoi. This friend pays Marusei (the one next to the river, in Uragawa/Koi Ginza by Juroski) US$1000 clams. Upon inspection of the digital pics later that evening, it looks terrible. Missing scales, post-anchor worm, hi, fin damage, just bad. Contacts Marusei next day. Poor friend eventually claws back only US$500 -- and little Mr. Chagoi never had to leave Marusei's concrete ponds. A few weeks later, Mystic Koi here in the LA area, sells the same Mr. Chagoi for $1200 (http://www.mystickoi.com/buyKoi.php?id=36).

    Cha-ching! for Marusei.

  3. #23
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    If a dealer represents that a koi is female, but it is not, then the dealer is obligated to refund the purchase money, shipping costs, etc. unless terms of sale were otherwise at time of purchase and clearly communicated. Whether the dealer accepts a return of the defective item is up to the dealer. ....But I think you will find that dealers do not say a koi is female unless they are absolutely certain. They will say "probably female" or "think it is female"...just giving an opinion that could be wrong, not an assurance.

  4. #24
    Oyagoi koiczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,352
    MikeM

    I think I know the fish that Bobinca is speaking of. It was "definitely" identified by the dealer as a "female". Several of us hobbyists were there with Bob on this particular day. He asked my opinion, and upon bowling the fish and checking it thoroughly, I informed him it was indeed a "male". So, now, if you still buy the fish, who's problem does it become??

  5. #25
    Daihonmei
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,198
    Bob,
    first "honorable" koi sellers won't TAKE back a koi...they will return the money...or likely allow the hobbyist to select a replacement...
    But honorable koi sellers won't state a koi is a female unless it is a female.
    They will sell "males" that might be female, and that could be a problem to the rare hobbyist that has an all male tank.
    Selling a "Female" that is actually male, would cause a greater financial loss and perhaps "losses" in other areas than just the fish sold.
    BUT NO SELLER WANTS/ WILL TAKE A FISH BACK.

  6. #26
    Sansai
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    267

    Thank you, Luke

    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee

    Selling a "Female" that is actually male, would cause a greater financial loss and perhaps "losses" in other areas than just the fish sold.
    BUT NO SELLER WANTS/ WILL TAKE A FISH BACK.
    I had been buying fish from the popular local dealer, until I realized that about half the female fish (expensive, two + year olds) were males. He has lost my business forever and I have since spent over $100,000 with another dealer. This has happened to others also, losing him even more business. Maybe for him it's worth the money now vs. potential business for the future?

  7. #27
    Oyagoi koiczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,352
    Carolyn

    That's a sad story, but all too true too often. Just when you think a dealer is honest and trustworthy, you find out the opposite much to your dismay. Glad to hear you found out sooner than later!!

    Now, I'm not saying that most dealers are that way, THEY'RE NOT!! But it doesn't just hurt the unassuming individual - IT HURTS THE WHOLE HOBBY when something like this happens.

  8. #28
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar
    MikeM

    I think I know the fish that Bobinca is speaking of. It was "definitely" identified by the dealer as a "female". Several of us hobbyists were there with Bob on this particular day. He asked my opinion, and upon bowling the fish and checking it thoroughly, I informed him it was indeed a "male". So, now, if you still buy the fish, who's problem does it become??
    As we both stood by the pond and you tried sexing it with both came to the conclusion it looks more male than female. We both explained to Bob that the finish of the Showa looked more male than female. In the end we ask Bob that regardless of the sex the fish was nice. Bob replied that I am buying it because I like it...So we both said okay. The people that were there we're Danzcool, Woodyaht, Erwinsan, Aquitori and Koiczar....The thing was he both the fish because he liked it....

  9. #29
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    If male and female are the things stopping you from buying a koi...

    1. Ask the dealer to sex the fish.
    2. Buy Nisai or Sansai, high chance of sexing a fish.
    3. If the fish is sexed and nothing comes out then pass on it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-, 05:24 PM
  2. Mystic Koi Omosako Grow-out final results thread
    By jnorth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
  3. Sales tax on koi ?
    By Jeff Speck in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
  4. Koi growth- early vs late vs final size
    By Spike Cover in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com