Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you have a landscaper build your koi pond?

Would you have a landscaper build your koi pond?

Would you have a landscaper build your koi pond? For the last couple of ponds I saw, even a CEO's pond they were all but "Koi" ponds..Some ponds had high amp pool pumps, others were aquascape BS design...

Hell NO.

I also know couple people who had landscapers did their pond (not KOI pond by any mean)

Ben

Sansai
    Sure, why not? If the landscaper will build the pond I want, to specifications intended to provide the best environment possible for my koi then I do not see a problem. BUT first we must define the term "koi pond". It means different things to different people.

The vast majority of us on this board want a pond that exists for the koi. It is not intended to provide visual and auditory ambience for our back yard as the main purpose. (those can be worked into our design, but are not the main purpose for our ponds) We want a pond that will allow our koi to develop to their full potential. However, other folks want a pond that will provide a home to pretty fish for their visual impact with plenty of plants and a nice water sound.

Most landscapers are just that...landscapers. Folks who make bare ground attractive for the owners. They know how to dig a hole, seal it, and maybe put in some "bio-filter/s". And of course the plants and rocks give the pond a "natural" look, so it must be good. This is where the problems surface. They can build a pond with koi in it, so that makes it a koi pond. Most likely not one designed the way we would.

It is my responsibility as the owner to know what I want out of my pond. That is a hard learning curve. Speaking from experience here. I had a pond built by a landscaper. An outstanding builder who completed very high quality work. EXCEPT for the fact that he really did not have an understanding of pond design for optimum koi growth. But I was ill informed. So a large part of the responsibilty for the poor pond environment was/is mine. I did not spend enough time learning about koi. It was after the pond was completed that I found out what top quality koi can achieve. So the "Saga of the Pond Remodel" continues. Had I known then what I know now about pond design, filtration, pumps, and plumbing design; the pond would have been built much different.

Would I hire a landscaper, or anyone else for that matter, to build a koi pond and leave the design, filtration, etc up to them with no review. Absolutely not. I would be very involved in the design and in fact would probably have a pond design in hand when asking for bids to build it. Would I hire a landscaper to build a koi pond to my design specifications, Absolutely.

Rambling I know but trying to make the point that we as pond owners must know what we want out of our ponds before we have them built.

Steve

I would if I can supervise them 100% of the time and provided they follow the my specs. let them do the hard labor.

Steve

Steve & Steve took the words out of my mouth...
    I would be happy to have them build it as long as it was what I designed and requested. I have no problem with someone else doing the work.

B.Scott

Sansai
    I guess my thoughts on this subject are along the lines of what do we mean when we talk about a Koi Pond.

I know for us, here on KB, we are talking about a pond that creates an environment that provides for the highest level of developement for our koi. High quality water, not just crystal clear. Frequent removal of solids. Over filtered for removal of disolved gases. Efficient plumbing design that allows us to use smaller pumps to meet the turn-over target.

What I like to call a Formal Koi Pond.

Most of my local club members are more into ponds that have plants to make it a "Natural" pond. Even though a rubber liner, closed loop water system, and plant combinations that would not likely be found together in nature. Plus of course pretty fish. And they are just fish to them. Of course they become emotionally attached to their fish, but hey fish die and they will just replace them. The fish they buy look pretty right then, no thought to future developement.

What I like to call an Ornamental Water Garden

My pond exists (or will when I finish the remodel) for my Koi. I am learning to choose koi for their future qualities. With any luck I will be able to learn enough to be competitive.

Most of the pond builders/landscapers here in my area put in AS designs. They are a two day job and the money is good. The vast majority of people putting them in have no interest in their fish beyond how they look when they buy them. So I am sure that I would not hire most of the landscape contractors in my area. Even trying to explain design criteria to them is an excersize in frustration. They just do not get it. They have been installing these types of ponds for years and the fish live and grow. Some even get upwards of 18 - 20" and the water is crystal clear. Of course their idea of crystal clear is a much lesser standard than mine. Oh well, onward and upward with the good fight. Occasionally I run into someone who wants to learn and in the process I usually learn as much as the person I am talking with.

Steve

Rambling again

Like any contracter or at least myslef. I would like to see a portfolio for such a big job and refrences of recent work. I would also like to see in person if possible. Like many who have a pond built by a landscaper was their first. But later on got a bit koikichi and want something a bit more.

I am like most kichi that I am on a budget so I would do it myself. If I was to have a koi pond built and had some extra money. I would have Carl Forss build my pond judging by the last few ponds he has built. Nothing beats a play by play portfolio.. Thank MikeM and HenryC.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Sansai
    Of course it depends on the landscaper. If he will listen and if his crew is capable of doing MY pond. Here's my landscaper built pond. Two BDs , two Savio skimmers , nexus 300 Eazy , UV and a pressure filter for the large skimmer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you have a landscaper build your koi pond?-img_0447.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Like any contracter or at least myslef. I would like to see a portfolio for such a big job and refrences of recent work. I would also like to see in person if possible. Like many who have a pond built by a landscaper was their first. But later on got a bit koikichi and want something a bit more.

I am like most kichi that I am on a budget so I would do it myself. If I was to have a koi pond built and had some extra money. I would have Carl Forss build my pond judging by the last few ponds he has built. Nothing beats a play by play portfolio.. Thank MikeM and HenryC.

Joe
    Hi Joe, I am a koikichi landscraper, would you trust me? Just invite me over with my family and I will install an open system pond with a pounding 12 foot waterfall, a Japanese bridge and trim all your bonsai for cheap.

Jumbo
    Cheap trim! Cool.

Man, as a contractor for the last 30 years I will not deal with "references." I only get work by referrals. If your friend isn't a good enough reference, check your friend, not me.

We should all recognize that Carl at Keirin is not the only choice, but look at the job the guy does and look at what he has built for the fellows in the Land of Sunshine. This is a premium approach and a fast delivery. Like Joe said, "If we had the money," that would be the guy. The work is much admired by me both as a contractor and as a slightly cracked fish guy. I lucked out and got a look at Mike M's pond and fish last January. Fantastic.

Mickey the windowman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast