Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeder: Ueno

Breeder: Ueno

Anybody here familiar with the breeder Ueno??Heard that he produces very good showas and hes on the Southern Part of Japan Kyushu.His showa is from the Sakai bloodline(Sakura),also won the 36All Japan 90bu Kokyugo.Hope someone have more info about Ueno.Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breeder: Ueno-ueno-showa-90cm.jpg  

There is an Article on Uneo in one of the Nichirins, but as far as I know Uneo uses Sakai Hiroshima Oyagoi for their showa line.

Got these 2 Ueno showas from a Ueno showa lottery held in Narita koi farm few days ago.They will be kept in mudponds till Autumn harvest.Sorry pictures are not clear but will post better pictures once I get them.Would be interesting to see how they turn out after the harvest.Any comments on these 2 females.....

I understand that Ueno produces Showa with a bright apple red hi, a tendency toward heavy sumi and large bone structure. When Torazo needed Showa after the quake, I read that Ueno was the choice for tosai to stock. It has to be a nice honor to have your fish selected by a well-known breeder in need of inventory.

I happened to come across an interview of Ueno as I was catching up on my reading this morning. It was noted that his Showa do not show their true character until after age 6, and he commented that his customers know not to show his fish until they are over 80cm. His Showa are not competitive in the small sizes.

Another point I found interesting is that he does not stick to using the same female oyagoi. He regularly uses new parent fish, because in his experience a female producing fine offspring one season can not be relied upon in a second or third year. It seems he will use siblings of a successful female parent as additional parent fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I happened to come across an interview of Ueno as I was catching up on my reading this morning. It was noted that his Showa do not show their true character until after age 6, and he commented that his customers know not to show his fish until they are over 80cm. His Showa are not competitive in the small sizes.

Another point I found interesting is that he does not stick to using the same female oyagoi. He regularly uses new parent fish, because in his experience a female producing fine offspring one season can not be relied upon in a second or third year. It seems he will use siblings of a successful female parent as additional parent fish.
    Thats interesting.Will be fun to see how they progress.Will post pictures when they are harvested in Nov.Thanks for the info MikeM.

Koimann . . .

Ueno's reputation for showa has certainly peaked in the last several years and I think that both koi have bright futures ahead of them.

Hopefully we'll still be here when they get around to peaking.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM

Mike,

Which publication had the article you referenced? I love finding that type of information. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I'm always looking for more reference material. I never heard of Uneo until the 2005 All Japan Show when he had two showa in the top 5.

-Dan

That info came out of a recent issue of the electronic English Rinko.

Toshihiro and Hiroki Ueno
    Ueno Yorijo
    Kumamoto Kyushu
    Farm founded in 1990.
    Hiroki is 33 years old and did a 5 year apprenticeship at Sakai fish farm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast