Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "end" of khv - fact or rumor

Sansai

"end" of khv - fact or rumor

i heard that a doctor famous for his work with koi and koi owners over the years has proclaimed an "end to khv"!

i have also heard it is bunk.

i would like to know.

well, perhaps, you should post in details what you have heard for us here....

Yes, some days ago Erik Johnson sent a broadcast e-mail saying that a KHV cure was found at University of Georgia research facility. This week he sent another retracting the first.

No need for a tempest in a teapot over this. Sometimes Doc Johnson gets a wee bit over-exuberant.

BTW, there is promising research occurring around the world. We can hope that some day such an announcement will be made. But, in the meantime, have you contributed to the KHV research fund? It is one way to help.

(Or, bid on that fantastic slate pictured above!)

Sansai
    maybe i am to suspicoious. i did not know if those emails were actually from doc johnson or from someone trying to make him look foolish. so many have an agenda these days, and it is not about the fish. since the emails are apparently authentic, i wil post them. then the question is, is there actually a cure which they are not sharing. if there is a cure, why give to a fund to find a cure?

email#1
    Greetings from Dr. Johnson

We (at University of Georgia) seem to have stumbled onto a verifiable "cure" for KHV in vitro. I'll have more on that shortly, although I have explained this cure and shown the testing and results in the last four seminars I gave in California, Colorado, and Tennessee. Rather a few of you didn't even know I was in town because your club leadership boycotted the events because I got an Aquascape pond a couple years ago.

Sometimes, all you have to do is think "unlike" certain leaders-politicos and you're "out"

My newest pond, the big Mac Daddy of all ponds (for me), is in operation now....

If'n you're curious, there's a whole website for it, with two picture galleries and all sorts of info on it at a site under development:

http://www.mynewpond.com

Check it out. Thanks for your consideration. Dr. Johnson

did they really find a cure, or is this just a cheap shot at those who "boycotted" him?

email #2
    Gentle Reader

You may have gotten an email from me heralding the "end" of KHV as we know it. You should understand the reasoning for the email; THEN disregard it.

One of the problems with "non-researchers" (people like me) having adjacency to studies at Universities is a lack of knowledge. This lack of knowledge occurs in two critical areas:

1. Proper and accurate interpretation of any results before they are final.
    2. Knowledge of what is confidential or 'sensitive'

Think about it this way; if you put a two-year-old on a bike without training wheels, and that kid makes it to the other researcher ten feet away without wiping out, you can't say that "two year olds can ride bikes".
    Well, I take that back - if you're overly enthusiastic, like me, you might. Mea culpa.

The University will not acknowledge or confirm ANY study, result, or activity to you (or anyone else) until said study is "final". Until then, as far as we're concerned, the study does not even exist. So, until further notice, (notification which will come solely from the University itself *IF AT ALL*) - you should be hereby informed that my last email regarding KHV has all the weight and validity of a Unicorn sighting.

If you contact the University, they will say essentially the same thing, without the "unicorn" sense of humor.

Those of you who know me from first-hand-exposure know I am enthusiastic about fish health. I wa-a-a-a-aay "jumped the gun" on this one - and I regret the inconvenience it has caused.

As Spike Cover would gently remind me - try not to be the guy who uses "Ready - Fire - Aim!" - I should listen to that guy much more often.

Thank you Dr Erik Johnson

Sansai
    so, has there been a big breakthrough that ends khv, or not?

I would prefer that you have the mind set that there is KHV available,,,,that way you'll take those precautions you should do.....

during my youth everyone had a passion for getting their kids immunized against common childhood diseases. decades came and went, travel and populations mingled and expanded, people didn't get their kids vacainated against things because they wasn't a need. results, this diseases "came back"....

we don't need a chicken little mentality nor do we need indifference. all you need is something to sit around dormant for years and then be triggered.....

please do every precaution you can to keep it in place......

Take the Doc at his word

He said he jumped the gun based on incomplete information, so believe it. Besides, even if they announced to the world tomorrow that a cure had been found and confirmed it wouldn't change anything for quite some time to come. Mass production of a vaccine would take time and safeguards still have to be maintained to prevent infected fish from going undetected even WITH a vaccine.

Tategoi
    I've seen the Doc announce 'amazing' developments over the years to the point his statements no longer have an impact on me.

Often, these statements are for something he seems to be making a profit from, but I don't think he's dishonesy. Just over enthusiastic when he's involved in anything. That trait is also why he was far ahead of anyone in presenting thea koi health book many of us cut our teeth on and also why hundreds, if not thousands of hobbyists have had an exposure to koi anatomy and parasite training through his wet labs.

As for myself, I must assure you it's no fun being perfect.

Wink Ain't it the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L
    ...As for myself, I must assure you it's no fun being perfect.
    Me too, I just act this way to keep those around me from feeling inferior

Daihonmei
    you two are shams...we that are perfect are perfectly content with it..right JG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast