Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's

Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's

I just heard that Dan & Gene won Grand Champion. Also heard that Steve Childers won Baby Grand Champion, with a fish he just purchased at the show site today, from Eastern Nishikigoi..
    Congrats to all the winners...

Sansai
    Congrats to all!

will be nice to see the pics, hopefully soon. Congrats to the winners...evidently steve is not afraid to purchase koi at shows.....

I'll try to take some pix

Planning to go tomorrow with camera in hand. (Of course my photographic skills kinda suck so it may not work out real well) Would've been there today, but I went to see BB King instead . He's still got it.

Talking Pictures Anyone???

Well, I finally made it home with camera in hand. Saw some beautiful Koi and even brought one home from the auction. Sorry I don't have the winners labeled but I didn't go as well prepared as I should have
    My picture taking skills don't do them justice, but hopefully some of the Koi Society members will post better than I have.

BTW, The last two are pix of the one I brought home from the auction. Cute little Pond Grade Kohaku about 10" long and taking my wife to this show is about to cost me a lot of money ... but that is another story
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc1.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc2.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc3.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc4.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc5.jpg  

Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc6.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc7.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc8.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc9.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc10.jpg  

Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc11.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc12.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc13.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc14.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc15.jpg  

Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc16.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okc17.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okcauction.jpg   Oklahoma Koi Show Grand Champion's-okcauction2.jpg  
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Thanx for posting Papabear

I don't want to dampen spirits, but looking at the pictures of your new Kohaku, I believe I saw some infected areas. Is this Correct?

No Infections

Just mediocre quality (koi and picture) coupled with traveling stress bringing it home. Bought it toward the end of the fundraiser auction as we were late in getting a bidder number. Just trying to help raise a little money for the cause.

Larry, I think it's great you're supporting the show and wasn't trying to second guess your intentions. I'm just concerned as it looks as there are whitish areas on the left hand side of the Kohaku. They look like the beginning of problems to come Good luck and please check regularly for possible problems

Rgds

Regenmeneer

Thumbs up No problem

Thanks Reg. A good eye is always welcome in my pond . I'll keep an eye on things and with rennovations/expansion work going on they'll be getting close observation in the temporary holding pond anyway.

Hey Nancy.
    Got to meet Gene at the show. He and Dan had some excellent koi in the show. Massive bodies on all of them, but with a 10' deep pond and strong currents it is small wonder .

Honmei

Fun Facts

The Yagenji Kohaku was purchased from Infiltration in May of 2002 as a nissai (almost Sansai) but was only 18" when it arrived in the US in July of that year (I originally posted 19" before checking my records). I don't have the exact measurment as of now but was 30"+...I should get the exact measuremenmt later today from Tim Waddington. He is measuring all of D&G's Koi today. The Koi has those cute chubby cheeks and actually presented some probelms for the Koi with an infection within its left crease some years back. Subsequenly , fatty typ growth occurred on that cheek that Tim Waddington cut off about a year ago and is virually undetectable today. He is amazing at his Koi knowledge and skills.

Although D&G have a truly amazing pond, its their husbandry skills that are a true credit. Dan maintains the water on a strict schedule of maintenance while Gene cares for their other needs (massive amounts of high quality foods).

I was also pleased to see The Downs' Shintaro Sanke do so well, especially after a spawning. I was with them and Infiltration when they purchased this Koi back in 2002 as was I with Michael Kimberling when he purchased his Sakai (Isawa) Kohaku which took Mature Champion. I believe the Sue and Dick Emmerick from Minneapolis took best in size 8 with their Genki Supplied Kohaku that was Reserve GC in Orlando.

Oh, and yes, the Childers took Baby Champion with an Eastern Nishikigoi supplied Sanke that I purchased Saturday morning (Damn those people who buy last minute "ringers" ). Business scheduling constraints prevented us from bringing any from home and having never missed an OKC competition, I felt obligated to enter something and chose a couple of TINY cuties from ENKOI. I thought, heck, perhaps a shot at best in size 1? I was astounded to hear the tiniest took Baby Champion. Sorry, no pictures, I didn't have a microscope! The original plan was to put them in the club auction as a donation but Cheryl and I decided to take them home so that we had some small Koi to enter in this Fall's Koiphen Koi Nationals show (Sept 8 - 10 at Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN...cheap shameless plug).

Dick asked if I was afriad to buy a Koi at a Koi show? Not any more afraid than I would be buying from a dealer. I choose dealers I trust, but like Ronald Reagan, "Trust but verify" and the Koi are now in QT with one of my existing Koi as a "Canary".

I think the best part of the show for Cheryl and I was not only the camaraderie of this group of Koi Hobbyists, but even after the banquet, the top 3 winners (D&G, The Downs', and Michael Kimberling) all went out together for adult beverages, story telling and a few games of pool.....no anamosities there at all. Oh, and we tagged along too

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast