Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-filtering via activated carbon...

Pre-filtering via activated carbon...

Just wanted to get your input on advantages and/or disadvantages of pre-filtering new water through an activated carbon filter before being added to the pond. What do you think?

are you concerned with contaminents?
    chlorine? What method will you use to determine when the material has absorbed to full capacity and needs to be replaced. How much water do you need to treat. Always like to know the purpose for the action before making a comment...maybe some of the others would feel a little more comfortable with some details-thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    are you concerned with contaminents?
    chlorine? What method will you use to determine when the material has absorbed to full capacity and needs to be replaced. How much water do you need to treat. Always like to know the purpose for the action before making a comment...maybe some of the others would feel a little more comfortable with some details-thanks!
    I'm just looking to improve the quality of the water I'm introducing into the pond and remove possible contaminants in my public water, for example, I know in my county the use chloramines as a water "purifier". I do add water conditioners when I do water changes, 2X weekly (300 gals each time); but I often question if that's enough.

I recently saw an inline filter I can hook up to my garden hose and it will allow for 4 gpm and the carbon cartridge will last for 5000 gals. This is what sparked the idea. I do run my water through a water softner now. BTW the replacement cartridges were fairly inexpensive, $10 each.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me on the subject. thanks in advace...

Tategoi
    Erwinsan:

We do a 10%, 24/7 water change on both our ponds to maximize the performance of our Bakki Showers.
    Although the Board of Water Supply only adds chlorine to the water when contaminants are found, and claim that by the time it gets to our tap it's less than .05%, We added an inexpensive carbon filter dispenser and cartridge, from AES, to each pond for peace of mind... Bypass filter housing was $39 and cartridges were $8.95 in lots of 6 or more... I change cartridges every quarter so annual cost is $36, chump change for the peace of mind it brings...

Filter is installed on the water supply line just after a flow meter and before a Hudson Auto Fill Valve, all water that goes into the pond is through this line.

John Sprinkle TBT of Naples FL. posted that he had a one cubic foot filter which would handle 100k gallons of water...

Aloha! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Erwinsan:

We do a 10%, 24/7 water change on both our ponds to maximize the performance of our Bakki Showers.
    Although the Board of Water Supply only adds chlorine to the water when contaminants are found, and claim that by the time it gets to our tap it's less than .05%, We added an inexpensive carbon filter dispenser and cartridge, from AES, to each pond for peace of mind... Bypass filter housing was $39 and cartridges were $8.95 in lots of 6 or more... I change cartridges every quarter so annual cost is $36, chump change for the peace of mind it brings...

Filter is installed on the water supply line just after a flow meter and before a Hudson Auto Fill Valve, all water that goes into the pond is through this line.

John Sprinkle TBT of Naples FL. posted that he had a one cubic foot filter which would handle 100k gallons of water...

Aloha! Mike
    ~Mahalo

Erwin

Lee
    Sansai

I sure would like to see a photo of John Sprinkle's carbon filter....

I would be interested in seeing a photo of Sprinkle's carbon filter and be told where Sprinkle-san purchased his filter, as well as, where he buys his carbon for it...?

Advise, anyone...

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I would be interested in seeing a photo of Sprinkle's carbon filter and be told where Sprinkle-san purchased his filter, as well as, where he buys his carbon for it...?

Advise, anyone...

Lee
    Grand Cayman
    Lee and Erwin,
    I have the same type of filter as John and it does my whole house. The vessel is 44" tall and 8" in diameter and has a programmable head that backwashes the filter when you want. I have mine set for 3 times a week. So far it has been almost two years and I still can not get a chlorine reading, either total or free from it. They also switched my water to chloramines and not a problem for me.
    The sell them on ebay but I got mine from a local water conditioning company. With 1 cubic foot of carbon and installation it ran around ~$500.I'll get you a picture in a bit.

Sansai
    Almost forgot too add....make sure you get the head that does the automatic backwash. It will extend the life of the carbon and is 100% maintenance free.

If you want I can give you the exact model number for the head....just have to find the owners manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pre-filtering via activated carbon...-dscn00960001.jpg   Pre-filtering via activated carbon...-dscn00970002.jpg  

It's not clear to me ...Is it programmable to automatically put water in the pond?

Lee
    Sansai

Yes, what did you pay, what's the name of the unit and any other detail would be -

Wow,

Thanks...for the photos.

Yes. Please, provide as much information on this unit as possible.

Price? Model number? Where you purchased your's?

Much appreciated...

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast