Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: information please

mat
    Fry

information please

Hi all I would just like to say that you have a great web site with so much information on koi and the like.

As you can tell this is my first post, so I hope I have posted this right.

Here is just a little bit about me and were I live.

My name is mat and I live in a town in Birmingham England called Solihull.

I have had a small pond for as long as I can remember and have been fascinated with fish for years. So now the time has come to look at building a new pond but I could do with some books or web sites that will explain all the in and outs on keeping koi.

The design and size is no problem as I have been looking at some great ponds you all have and got a lot of ideas, but the right filer system is.

All your ponds are beautiful and the water quality is exhalant but the way the filters work and are installed is baffling. So any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Some of your posts are way over my head so I hope being a newbie will not put you all off.

Thanks for your time reading this and keep up the good work.

Oyagoi
    I would advise you to visit some local ponds via the BKKS club nearest you and talk to the owners, and to visit Yume Koi (www.yumekoi.com). Doing that will not only get you ideas, they will tell you where to buy things so you get more for your money and end with a much nicer pond.

Get a Bakki Shower and a good vortex system is my suggestion. Take a look at all the filters and talk to Gazza and Jules over there. You can find both of their nics here and send them a private message. You can also check out a great up and coming UK breeder Maurice, www.koi-uk.co.uk and his site. Visit his koi farm if you can, you will learn alot and see some stunning koi too. MikeS whose nic you will find here too is Mike Snaden, he owns Yume Koi.

Another UK based koi forum this forum is friends with is run by a great guy named Mark Gardener, his site is www.koichat.com and there are alot of links there to local filter and pond builders, and suppliers in your area.

It is nice to meet you, welcome, and please start a thread and post your pics and progress as you go along. We all really enjoy that.
    'Sometimes it take a talking donkey to turn things around in the right direction, ask Balaam."

A lot of members of this board have strong knowledge not only koi, but also pond, filter, and water quality etc... I am sure this board and other will help to provide the info you are searching....

Welcome to the koi-bito board, Mat.

--Dinh

Welcome to Koi-bito!

Here are a few basic suggestions.
    Go deep. 4' minimum. Anything shallower then that is asking or trouble.
    Go big the first time. Don't waste time with anything under 5000 US gallons. Once you get hooked you'll probably want to go bigger and will end up overstocking a small pond, so start big.
    Double the filtration. Maybe even triple it. Oversize is the way to go or you will spend all your time trying to keep up.
    Don't overstock. Get a few cheap koi to warm up the filters when the pond is first done but then be picky...real picky. As you start to learn more about koi you will want to upgrade your collection so start with only a few so as you learn you won't waste pond space with koi you don't like.
    Find a reputable dealer. This is easier said then done. Many dealers are freindly but that doesnt mean they are knowledgable. Find some other local hobbyists and get recommendations from them. The two mentioned by JG are very good but I'm not sure how close they are to you.

A few other items of note. Most people start out this hobby thinking they will never show and they just want to have a pond with some koi and maybe some lillys etc. Don't fall into that trap. When I started that is exactly what I thought. I wish I had kept a more open mind and thought about it for awhile. You can build a pond cheaply for pond grade koi and water plants but to keep koi in condition for shows there are no shortcuts. So I would say build as if you might want to keep high quality koi in it someday. Even if you never have high quality koi you will have some very happy pond grade koi . Take in some koi shows. There are usually seminars and you can learn a lot there. Try this link http://www.bkks.co.uk/ That should help you quite a bit. Last but not least read this forum and ask questions when you don't understand.

Oh yeah you asked about filters...... First you need a bottom drain. That leads to a settlement of some sort (the heavier solids are trapped here). Then some sort of mechanical filter to trap the fines. From here its on to some sort of bio (an aerated k1 chamber is popular in the UK). Then a pump which draws the water through the previous stages. After the pump maybe a UV and then exit it the water over a bakki or some sort of trickle tower and maybe feed some back through a tpr. Or you could go bottom drain to pump to bead filter to uv and back into the pond. I wouldn't go with the second option though. Too much maintence. Go with a nice large settle-mechanical-bio system. To sum up there are many different filter systems and many different ways to keep koi and it is not easy figuring out which is best for you. In fact I suspect some people will disagree with some of what I have said (Like they might say 6' is the minimum). And thats cool with me because it's all about finding out whats best for you. Do a lot of reading and visit some other ponds to get a good idea of how its done. Hopefully none of that scared you off because koi keeping is a relaxing hobby (for the most part) that you can enjoy for years at your own pace.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Welcome to the board where you will find alot of info and opinions.....

Jumbo

Another good place to look

Mat- (and Jungle)-

The world's best (?, probably) site for info on building a koi pond is from your neighbor Wales, home of their own section of BKKS. Their website covers just about everything.

http://www.koicymru.co.uk/

Mickey the windowman

mat
    Fry

thanks

hi thanks for all your input.
    i went to shirley aquatics today and had a good look round at the fish and the equipment. not the cheapest shop but they have a good selection of books and the like. just need to design the new pond but il keep you all posted and i hope i can ask you all questions when im stuck.
    once again thanks for the information

Cool Glad you like it here

When the time comes for you to make your fine tuning decisions on your pond designs feel free to ask away. There are some very experienced ponders on this forum who are helpful , opinionated , and most of us even have a sense of humor .

mat
    Fry

pump filter

hi all i have a draper water pump that pumps 50 ltsmin but it has no prefilter or strainer basket and im worried it will block so my question is can i get a some kind of prefilter for it? (i got the pump cheap) thankyou all for your help

Oyagoi
    www.koichat.com also has a store side, and Mark G has the baskets and can whisk one off to you today if u order it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast