Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye Flukes

Unhappy Eye Flukes

Has anyone had any experience with eye flukes, i.e. trematode eye fluke Diplostomum spathaceum?

After scouring the net for hours at 28.8 dial up, I have found very little information about them and absolutely no information whatsoever about how to destroy them.

Yeah, I think two of my koi have them. Their corneas are not clouded (yet), but there are specks on the surface of their eyes and I am very concerned. I'd like to think that I've noticed them in time, but have no idea how to treat them. The fish are in my QT now (were out in the pond for the last two weeks), seemed stressed when I brought them in last night, one of them (Autumn, my Ochiba) was rubbing herself on the filter tube and swimming back and forth through the airstone bubbles, but they are their usual selves this morning. QT is salted to .1ppm. Freshly filled 30 gallon tank, ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0. I will up the salt another point tonight (salted this morning). I don't want to medicate unless I know for sure what's going on, but I don't want to dawdle either if there is something I can do to catch this before it gets to the point of no return.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Marie------>near tears
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Honmei

PraziPro?

What about trying a normal fluke medication like PraziPro? It works on flukes, tapeworm, flatworms and turbellarians. It is very safe for your system and maybe it would work.

Okay. A fluke is a fluke, right? So PraziPro should work. I may have to order it over the net if the only pet shop in my vicinity doesn't have it. If that's the case, I hope the koi can hold on until it gets here. I do have PP, which I use on my plants before they go in the pond. Kinda scary to think of using it in so small a QT though...

Thanks Russell,

Marie

Fluke tabs seem to work well and might be carried at your local store although prazi is as good or better. BTW nice plate I have its twin.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I've always used superverm on flukes. Recently some concern has been voiced on the various boards about it's reliability. The truth of the matter is that it works fine. The problem lies in mis application and also where you got your product. If the jug it comes in isn't properly mixed prior to dispencing it into smaller containers for re- sale you can get a solution too weak unless your at the end of the bottle and you can get it too strong. As in so many things of concern for the hobbyist, a great MOXY dealer is your best asset!

fluke tabs would be my method of last resort....

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow

fluke tabs would be my method of last resort....
    Why is that? I've never tried them in my pond but they have worked well for me in my Q-tank.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sounds like I have some back-up options, and that's really cool. Thanks Jim and Dick. I was just mortified when Autumn came up to be pet and saw those things on her eyes. Totally freaked. I bowled both her and Jumanji to check them out closer and then whisked them inside to the QT. The only parasite problems I've encountered in koi has been ick, and boy, this just looked ickier!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, you guys. *hug*

You have the mate to my plate, Jim? Is yours a charger or dinner plate size? I really like imari ware...

Marie

Marie

How do you know it's a fluke infection? Did you use a scope? If not, you could be treating for something that isn't even there. If that ends up being the case, you've spent your time and money for naught. I have NEVER heard of "eye flukes" or even that they are a problem for koi. Yours is the first case for me. Keep us posted. Also, if your fish seemed to be feeling better after dosing only .01% salt and you plan on bumping it up higher, I would continue with that treatment before starting anything else more drastic until you KNOW FOR SURE what you're dealing with.

Now, not to burst your bubble Dick B but I wouldn't be caught dead using Supraverm EVER!! I know there was great debate about this issue on a couple of the other boards and I'm not trying to start one here, just MHO. As you mentioned, proper mixing protocols are a MUST and there still is no guarantee that you've got the right dosage. I only trust PraziPond. It's much safer, you can overdose and it won't cause any caustic-type burns on the fish. It also kills ALL types of flatworms and trematodes, which is what a fluke is. I've used PraziPond every spring and fall for the last three seasons with great effectiveness:e.g. - 10 slides from 3 fish with 0 flukes after 4 days in sinu!! I also follow up that treatment with a full regimen of ProFormC. I employ a 4 day break between the two treatments with about 30% water changes during the break. What's the old saying - An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure???!!!

Mike

Should she do an eye-scrape? Ouch!

-steveho

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal

You have the mate to my plate, Jim? Is yours a charger or dinner plate size? I really like imari ware...
    It's charger size.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast